Chapter Three.

CHRISTINE:

I hurried down to the small chapel where my lessons with the angel took place. I locked the door behind me before I went completely inside, where sixteen burning candles rested before the mirror. I was usually the only one down here at this hour, so it seemed suspicious. Nevertheless, I knelt before the lit candles and said a soft prayer for my father, whom I was sure heard me from above.

I suddenly felt an overwhelming presence, accompanied by the soft flicker of the candles before me. I bowed before the mirror and as soon as I had guessed, the voice I was waiting for appeared, "Good evening, my child."

"It is a very good evening, angel."

"You were late. You kept me waiting."

Our lessons usually started at the twenty-first hour, but I was held up by Madame who gave me a lovely brooch. It was shaped into an orange butterfly and even now I felt the urge to play with the black beads that stood out on its bright color, "I apologize. It won't happen again."

The tension in the air made me quite nervous. I wanted these lessons to continue and I may have jeopardized that with my tardiness. The angel probably doubted my respect with how rude it was of me. It was my birthday, however, and an important one at that. Hopefully the angel would understand.

"I do know that this is your most important birthday, my child. For that, I forgive you. If it happens any more, though, there will be consequences."

I nodded my head and stood up to begin our lessons. I started off with a C major scale and the angel was most impressed. Then it was time for our duet and I thrived on that moment. A soprano sounded complete beside a tenor - especially a voice as holy as this. We began to sing O nuit d'amour - ciel radieux from Faust. I thought it was odd that my angel wanted to perfect that with me, but I didn't mind it. We sang lovely together. Until I made a mistake at my focus point - my G5.

"You were amazing until then-"

"I am sorry, angel-"

"Let me finish," I kept silent, waiting patiently for the angel's next command, "Look at your candles, my dear."

I looked up to the sixteen burning candles, noticing how wildly they flickered, "This age, I believe, is of utmost importance. I wanted to cut our lesson somewhat short this evening in honor of you."

I was glad that the ballet girls wished me a happy birthday, but this was something completely different. This beautiful arrangement was from an angel! - my angel. Then I realized a lovely bouquet of white roses that appeared in the wall beside the candles. I grabbed the lovely arrangement of roses and inhaled the aroma, "Thank you, my angel. For everything. The roses, the candles, the lessons... I don't know how to repay you."

"Repay me with your faithfulness, my child. Try not to stray from these lessons. I wish great things for you and these things do not just happen to those who put not enough work."

"Yes, angel. I promise. I may even show early."

I smiled gleefully as I grazed my cheek with the petal of a single rose. I loved every moment with my dear angel. The voice was so powerful and majestic and it filled me with security, "Angel?"

The voice was filled with sadness and that changed my question, "Yes, my child?"

"Are you sad?"

My angel became hesitant and I knew that this question may not have been appropriate to ask. I may have uncovered rough ground, "Somewhat glum, I suppose."

"Why?"

How could an angel ever be sad? Angels are powerful creatures of heaven and it didn't make sense that they could lament. Even so, I didn't want it to stay that way, "I fear I may not see you in heaven. The white world is a place too pure for things like me."

"I don't understand."

"It is a matter souls like yours won't. Acceptance is the main issue."

Suddenly, my first question came to mind. This was what I was desperate to know, "Do angels ever become human?"

The voice was solemn.. It seemed slightly angered by the question, "No. And I hope, for your sake, that this one will not."

"What you said earlier about acceptance," my angel was silent, preying on every word of mine, "I would accept you in the human world."

The voice spoke not a word. I knew then that our nightly lesson was over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the short chapter, you guys. I promise to have a better installment next time. Please tell me what you think. Comments always make my day 😊