Chapter Forty-One.

MADAME GIRY:

Nadir Khan had been accompanying in my home for the time Meg was off with Christine. Our friendship was becoming solid in the fact that we could trust each other with anything. I was expecting a letter from Meg on how the honeymoon was going and just as I sat into the soft, pink armchair to read, I heard a knock at my door. Monsieur Khan went out for a drink with some of his Persian friends and though I was expecting mail, it was rather late - eleven o'clock, to be exact.

I set down Great Expectations and went to the front door to see who had knocked - sandy, blonde hair, a pencil thin moustache and striking blue eyes, "M- Monsieur le Vicomte? How may I help you?"

"I came to check on Christine. I thought she might be here, given the circumstances."

"It has been a month, Monsieur. You did not worry for her earlier?"

"Oh no, I did. May I come in?"

I glanced again at the grandfather clock behind the door and stepped aside with a nod. Monsieur de Chagny stepped inside, keeping his top hat under his arm, "You have a wonderful home, Madame."

He went into the family, observing the various trinkets and photographs I kept on the mantle, "Thank you, Monsieur," I set aside my walking stick and sank into the chair again, Monsieur de Chagny taking a seat on the pink loveseat just a few feet away, "Well, is there another reason you are here?" he tilted his head at me, resting his chin on his balled up fist, "Anything else you wish to speak about?"

"No, Madame. I wanted to inquire on Christine. I destroyed any chance of a marriage with her because of my brother. He wanted me to find a wife who would submit quickly. He called Christine a prostitute, as well, because of her status in the opera - neither rich nor poor. Besides, my parents wouldn't want me to marry under my class," he rested his hand beside his thigh, leaning back into the loveseat, "How is she? I assume she is married now."

"Wise eye, you have, Monsieur. Yes. She is married and she is on her honeymoon at the moment."

"Hm," said he, settting his hat on his lap, "Just fine. A girl as lovely as she should be on a honeymoon."

"I assure you, Monsieur, she is perfectly fine."

He nodded and, almost immediately, Nadir Khan stepped inside. He yelled out words of Persian to his friend and then shut the door before stepping into the family. Each of them looked like they had witnessed a ghost as they stared at one another. Monsieur de Chagny slowly rose and bowed to Nadir, "I shall be going, Madame. Have a," they made eye contact like two dancers, Nadir slowly moving past him and onto the loveseat, "goodnight."

The Vicomte hurried along, Nadir rubbing his temples, "What was that about, Monsieur Khan?"

"Let us say that when you experience hell with someone, you do not want to see them again," he shielded his drunken eyes, leaning back into the seat, "The memories are shocking, to say the least. I still fear Erik after that."

I had my second guesses about their marriage, but never really let it bother me. It seemed that Monsieur de Chagny was unable to marry her because of status and Erik wanted her because of love so I let it happen. No one else would want her, knowing all the drama that came from her, so Erik was the best thing, "Do you think it was wise to let him marry Christine? I sometimes question it."

Nadir sat upright, removing his astrakhan cap - his hair had been completely disarrayed, "Erik knows when to avoid having outbursts. He is not as mad as I once thought. Besides, I know Christine will watch over him well. She seems very sweet."

"Though she is kind, I fear something may happen. For instance, if she has children-"

"Madame, I wouldn't say if in your position. They are on their honeymoon. It us bound to happen, but at the same time, as long as she keeps him calm, they shall be fine."

"I am worried for her future, Nadir."

"We all are," he glanced at the ground before drinking the water glass he left on the table, "These are their issues, Madame. I suggest we treat them like adults in that regard."