Chapter Twenty-Three.

CHRISTINE:

He took me down to his underground place again, pulling me away from my entire life. I cried - for Raoul, for the people that died and for the situation I was in. He kept dragging me along and threw me into the mauve room once we were indoors. I wanted to feel for him, but I was much too upset. Why was he doing this? He could be so much better, "Here," he grabbed a white gown and veil from the the closet and thrust it into my hands, "Put them on and meet in the music room when you're done."

He left the room with the slam of the door and I realized that I truly had no other choice. Though I was reluctant at first, the gown was rather elegant and lacey. The veil made me question for a moment, but then I pieced it together - this was wedding attire! And that must mean that Erik is my... my groom!

He yelled for me to hurry and I rushed out of the room, taking my time to shut the door behind me. What made me wonder was how he would be able to marry me, seeing that a priest would definitely not condone this. With hesitance, I stepped into the music room and saw him peering behind a curtain. He turned as I stepped further into the room, giving me a frightening, menacing smirk, "We have guests, my dear. Would you care to see?"

He opened the curtains and what beheld within my vision was appalling. Raoul and another gentleman moved frantically around in what I could only assume was a cage. Erik chuckled, shaking his head, "It's a shame, really. Only an utter fool falls for the torture chamber."

"A - a torture chamber?!"

"Why, yes. When it is on, as it is now, the victim, or victims in this case, is trapped inside where they are slowly roasted alive."

He was sick! I couldn't pity Erik any longer, for Raoul needed my help. I couldn't let anyone die because of me, "Raoul!"

Erik grabbed my wrist, pulling me over to a large, wooden box. When it was opened, two figurines laid side by side, "Turn the scorpion, pledge yourself to me and save your precious boy or turn the grasshopper and the entire Paris Opera is blown to bits!"

"No, Christine! Don't do this!" I heard Raoul's voice from the chamber, feeling tears run down my cheeks, "You're better than this! Don't waste your life!"

Silence. Irritable, piercing, saddening silence. What was I to do? What was Erik to do if I accepted him? Terror ran through my veins and I knew I had to decide quickly, "He has forty-five minutes left, my dear. Make your choice fast."

Raoul was in danger and the only way to save him was to turn the scorpion. If I turned the grasshopper, everyone would die. There was only one logical decision, but it was still sad to accept. I fell to the floor on my knees, covering my eyes as I cried. I felt Erik's cold hand on my shoulder and I looked up to him, wiping my eyes, "Why do you cry?"

With all he did, he was so innocent. I assumed he would know, but even I knew there was more to this, "I don't want this, Erik," I begged, "Please. If you love me as you say, let me go. Let Raoul go and the gentleman beside him go. Please! I know you have good in you!"

"Oh, Christine," he sighed deeply and I saw him cry as well - his feelings ran deep, which made my chest pang with sadness, "I only want to live like everybody else. I want to have a wife like everybody else and to take her out on Sundays."

He knelt beside me, holding each of my hands. He cried like I did, bringing my fingers up to his face to feel his tears. He was like any other human, "I have invented a mask that makes me look like anybody. People will not even turn round in the streets. You will be the happiest of women and we will sing, all by ourselves, 'til we swoon away with delight. You are crying! You are afraid of me! And yet I am not really wicked. Love me and you shall see! All I wanted was to be loved for myself."

I stood from him, yet he followed, still on his knees. He cried and he pleaded, clutching to the hem of my skirt, "If you loved me I should be as gentle as a lamb and you could do anything with me that you pleased."

I pitied Erik. He was most definitely a broken soul and he needed some sort of care. Once again, I eyed the two figurines and I heard Raoul's desperate cry, "Christine, please! Don't do this!"

My father once said that sometimes we had to sacrifice things for others. Though I might be wrong, sacrificing my life for Erik's sanity and happiness and Raoul's life was a fair thing. My cheeks still stained with tears, I bent over the figurine box, "If I do this, you must set him free. Let everyone go."

"You have my word."

Silent tears fell down my face and I turned the scorpion, hearing water spill into the chamber. The heat turned off and a door just to the left had clicked open. Erik went inside and pulled out the Persian gentleman and Raoul. I ran to my childhood sweetheart and knelt beside him, stroking his cheek, "Wh- why did you do it? Ch- Christine, you could have convinced him."

I found myself in more tears than before, facing away from him, "He needs me, Raoul. I am sorry."

He nodded and I felt Erik softly pull me up. Both men fell asleep and I soon discovered that it wasn't water that fell in the chamber. It must have been some sort of sleeping fluid, "I will take them out. You may rest, my dear."