Chapter Seven.

MADAME GIRY:

On Monday, I went on my task of delivering the rest of the notes. According to the orchestra, some members were being replaced and the conductor apparently had to start demanding more of his players. That was an obvious demand because anyone with working ears knew the orchestra needed practice. The same could be said for Carlotta and Piangi who always accepted their notes with a grain of salt. I sometimes wish that they would learn how to accept the criticism.

On the way to the managers office, I bumped into a gentleman with darker skin. When I recognized him, I gave a soft laugh, "Ah, Nadir. I must say, you show up at the oddest times."

"And occasionally the worst. I have to ask you, Madame. Do you, by chance, know what Erik is doing?"

"I haven't the slightest idea."

"I figured he would trust you more. Hm. He says that Christine will be in good hands soon, but I have no idea what that means."

"It's Erik, Nadir. That could mean a plethora of things."

"That's exactly what's frightening me."

I looked down at the notes in my hand that had to be delivered soon. The door to the managers office was cracked open and my ballerinas were wrapping up practice with La Sorelli, "Go to the office with me? I have to deliver these messages."

"Of course."

We went into the office where Messieurs Debienne and Poligny were hard at work writing their resignation letters. There were going to be new managers in 1890 and they were four happy years away from their rest. I interrupted their writing by placing a note on each of their desks, revealing two tired-eyed men, "Oh, Madame," Debienne began, "I hope this will be one of the last notes I ever recieve."

"I assure you that he is aware of your retirement. And I have done my best to ensure that you will have four peaceful years ahead of you."

"I don't know how to thank you, Madame," he unfolded the note and threw down on the desk in frustration, "but it appears our ghost would like us to leave sooner. Two years sooner."

"What?" Poligny opened his note and sighed at the message, "I suppose so."

"It might be in your best interest to keep calm. The ghost plans these things for a reason. I'm sure he'll leave you with enough money."

"Fair enough, Madame. Enjoy the rest of your day."

"You, as well."

I exited the office soon enough to see Sorelli with an elegantly dressed suitor. He was of naval status, obviously, with his brass buttons and white cufflinks. I felt curious about the gentleman and apparently so did Nadir. I tapped the man on his shoulder and curtsied to him, being offered a soft bow, "You are Madame Giry, I believe? La Sorelli has said good things about you."

"Yes. And to whom am I speaking with?"

He smiled, "I am Comte Philippe de Chagny. And who is this gentleman?"

"Nadir Khan, monsieur. Former Persian daroga."

"Ah. Persia, hm? I was there a few times on errand. Beautiful country. I'm sure you miss home."

"I cannot go back for a few reasons, but yes. I miss it more than anything."

Philippe nodded, then turned his attention to me, "I have a brother that will be returning from naval duty in 1888. Hopefully there will be a lovely production that night."

"Of course. We are supposed to be doing either Hannibal or Faust. I assure you, no one leaves this opera house without a smile on their face."

"I can agree," he said with a kiss to Sorelli, "I'll see you then with my brother."

I nodded and Nadir went with me into my office. Once we were both inside, the door locked and the lights flickered to become dim. I knew what was to come and sure enough a pair of yellow eyes glowed in a dark corner. Nadir sank onto his knees and I joined him, listening carefully to Erik's voice, "You were late with my notes again, Giry. And you, daroga. I thought I told you to go home."

"Erik, I apologize. I was on my way home, but Giry did stop me."

The masked man nodded and I admitted my fault, "I would appreciate tonight if you would allow my lesson with Christine to go uninterrupted. Tonight's lesson is most important and determines her ability to sing as a star soprano. As you know, she is painfully shy."

I nodded again and the lights flickered on. Erik was gone, the door was unlocked and Nadir stood tall, "I believe Erik is grave-deep into his ideas."