Chapter Fifty.

NADIR:

I walked with Caeser towards the Giry house, minding my surroundings in the recent events of the Apache. They were beginning to grow larger - dragging in young, influential boys from even the richest families and converting them into murderers as bad as Erik once was. I believed that, due to the five men he killed that attempted to raid him, they were coming back stronger - they were deceptive freaks of society, but I kept from saying that allowed knowing who I was acquainted with. Erik could be just as, if not more, dangerous than the terrifying band of delinquents.

Upon reaching the house, I tied Caeser's rope to the light post and began to feel the lightest bit of snow fall on my cap - mid November arrived beautifully, as always. As I stepped up to the porch I heard laughing, a joyous conversation between all three ladies, then knocked as the laughter stopped. Madame opened the door to me and I bowed to her before she let me in. The fireplace was crackling - Christine set her China down and Meg greeted me with a wave. As I sat beside Meg, I took in Christine's stomach and it was easy to tell how very pregnant she was. The baby would probably come at any moment, "How is Erik, Nadir?" she smiled, playing with her fingers, "I know it's only been a day, but I miss him so."

"I haven't spoken to him as of yet. But I will fetch him as soon as it's time."

As Madame Giry and Meg began to talk amongst themselves, Christine and I fell silent. I observed her face - dark circles under her eyes from lack of sleep - as she stared into nothingness, rubbing her swollen stomach. Christine was crying now then gasped at what I assumed was the pain of the child. We all watched cautiously, each of us silent, until she shook her head, "No, no," she took a deep breath before slowly standing up, "It is only false."

We all stood, following her to the stairs as the sound of fluid made Madame Giry act fast, "No, my dear. This is the real thing," she headed upstairs with Christine to perhaps set her on the bed, "Nadir, get the physician and then Erik after the child is born."

"Yes, Madame."

The Parisian physician was conveniently located down the Rue Scribe, though I worried about getting there in time. Halfway there, I knew Christine must have been feeling the pains of labor - the poor girl. The physician glanced up at me from the desk, shaking his head, "Another dead body? You people are supposed to get the mortuary for that."

"It's quite the opposite, Monsieur. You see, my friends wife is giving birth."

"Ah," he grabbed a bag, possibly filled with medical supplies, and followed me down the Rue Scribe, "How far along?"

"The sac had burst only moments ago. She's probably experiencing the first wave of contractions now."

"Your terminology, Monsieur, is keen," said he with a laugh, "Are your sure you need my assistance?"

"I only know little, but I haven't the technology you do."

"Fair enough."

Upon entering the Giry house, I heard Christine's groans of pain and saw Meg cleaning up the liquid on the stairs. She glanced up at us and nodded, the physician heading upstairs. Meg giggled at me, then placed her cloth into the water bucket when the mess was gone, "I haven't yet seen what is happening up there."

"I've seen many live births, Mademoiselle. You definitely do not want to see it."

"Is it that bad?" asked she, pointing up to the room, "Pain wise?"

"Her muscles are being wretched open to accommodate a baby. Surely something that large must be painful. Besides, the size of her stomach is incredible. That child will be big and healthy."

Meg nodded and followed me upstairs, my warning making her move slowly. Each of us stood in the doorway as the physician began to guide her through birth, Madame Giry holding her hand. I turned to Meg and the color fled from her face at the sight. We stood beside the archway now, only hearing Christine's occasional cry, "My poor friend."

"Poor friend, indeed."

Christine's weeping distracted me from the blood and filth as I glanced at the childbirth. Madame smiled at me and I nodded, making sure to comfort Meg who was temporarily scarred by witnessing it. Christine fell back into the birthing bed, tears rolling down her cheeks - the baby was finally coming, said the physician, "I need you to push harder, dear. I can just barely see the head."

Christine was pleading, crying from the pain, "Please," she sighed, "It hurts too much."

"Nadir."

Madame nodded to me and I knew it was time to fetch Erik. Since they lived on the outskirts of Rouen, it wouldn't until the baby was delivered and screaming that we arrived there. I went outside, onto Caeser, and began my ride to the outskirts. Though, as I made my way, I saw a gentlemen on his own horse - hooded and covered from head to toe - and assumed my journey was already over, "Erik?"

The man stopped and I stopped Caeser, hopping off the horse as he climbed off as well. I could tell by the voice that I was right, "What is it, daroga?"

"Christine. She's in labor. The baby will be here at any minute."