Chapter Twenty-Seven.

CHRISTINE:

The following evening, Raoul sent me out with thirty francs so I could buy something nice for myself. Sometimes I had no idea what I was doing there - why did I live there? What was my purpose? Was there only for his amusement? It seemed like he was becoming distant... but so was I and that scared me.

I had no idea what to do with the money, until I came across this magnificent violinist. He played with such a passion that it reminded me of the people I had ever cared for that played so beautifully - Erik and daddy Daaé. I knew I was not going to buy anything that night and I placed all of the money into his case. He stopped playing and looked down at the case in awe, "Miss Daaé?"

The gentleman took off his hat and I immediately recognized that English accent. Poor Charles. The fire probably hurt him the most with how terribly he spoke French. Though he couldn't speak the language all too well, he was our first violinist and made every opera worth while, "Oh, Charles," I giggled, standing up straight, "You have yet to find work, I suppose?"

"Well I am waiting for the reconstruction of the opera. It is said to happen in a month from now, but I don't have money until then. Messieurs Richard and Moncharmin were supposed to pay a compensation to every musician, actor and ballerina, but we haven't heard from then since the fire."

"Oh, that's awful."

"Yes," he nodded, "Well, have a good night, Miss Daaé. And thank you very much for the handsome tip."

"Any time, Charles."

As I walked down the stone road, he continued to play that unfamiliar melody. Since the sun was still setting, I found many ladies glancing around the shops and holding the arms of their gentleman - this was what Erik wanted. He wanted a wife to take out on Sundays and this was what it looked like - it was an every day occurrence. He wanted nothing more than to be normal and that broke my heart.

At the end of the street, I saw the Garnier Opera House. The poor building was singed - blackened with the ash of that terrible night. The opera was my home and I sighed at the soft pain in my heart. Two gentlemen, Apache rivals, it seemed, clashed with swords at the front of the opera and the rest of their gang watched and cheered on. I left the scene cautiously and headed towards Raoul's manor. Death was upon anyone who interrupted an Apache brawl.

I made myself quiet as I walked down the street again, but I heard someone behind me now. They were running - my life, I thought, was over until I turned around, "Christine!"

The blonde hugged me tightly and I recognized her as my great friend, "Meg," I said with a smile, softly pulling away, "How are you? How is Madame?"

She shook her head, "I hate to say that neither of us are doing too well. I don't know if you heard, but the managers didn't give us a compensation package."

"Yes. I heard."

She smiled and showed me her hand, which showed an engagement ring, "Charles proposed to me," she said giddy.

"The violinist? Why, I was just speaking to him."

"He's so sweet. I hope you and Raoul are alright. Especially after - well, I thought he kept you down there."

"He let me go after a night of rest there. Apparently he's dying."

"Well that's wonderful!" she cheered, but I felt the tears coming, "No more phantom. He won't be tormenting anymore."

I felt the tears glide down my cheeks and knew Meg was seeing it. I put a hand over my eyes for protection, but she rested hers on my shoulder in that inquisitive way, "Christine, why are you sad? Wasn't he cruel to you and your fiancé?"

He kept Raoul in a heating chamber where he almost died, but I couldn't tell her that. Erik had enough of a heart to let him out, though - all on my word. Then he let me go and everything changed, "He let us leave, in the end. I'm still not entirely sure why, but he let us go."

"Why did he keep you there in the first place?"

"For love, Meg," I folded my arms against my chest, feeling somewhat cold, "He wanted a wife, like any other man and I was the subject of his affections."

"Oh. Well, I am sorry. How is Raoul after all this?"

"He is handling. I believe he is alright, but not entirely sure. I need rest, Meg."

"Alright. Well, take care, Christine."

"You, as well."

It was the first time in a while that I had lied to my best friend, but I didn't necessarily say anything that would hurt her. I felt terrible, though, because I also lied to myself. Raoul was a mess and the time I should have been spending with him, he spent with his brother. What was I to do? I was waiting for Erik's death so I could see him again and know, but perhaps I was going down the wrong path. I didn't understand what it was yet, but maybe I needed to do something else with my life. Perhaps Raoul wasn't really my fiance.