Chapter Twenty-Five.

RAOUL:

I woke beside the Persian, who had laid on a porch plainly with his eyes open. I had no idea where I was, otherwise I would have left. He slowly stood up, holding his head as if he were in pain. I stood as well and felt blood rush up to my head in one painful, movement - it must have been because of that heated chamber. I glanced around a moment, then looked to him, "Monsieur, do you know where we are?"

"This is my home," he said with a motion to the door, "I live on the Rue Scribe."

"Rue Scribe?" I glanced around at the street lamps and nodded, "Alright. Well, I should get home. It's still a shame that she can't come."

The stillness of the street greeted me as I stepped off the porch. A cool breeze hit my face and the Persian spoke again, "Monsieur?" I turned to him and he smiled, "Look to the end of the street and you'll see something worth your while."

At the end of Rue Scribe, I saw a girl in a white gown mindlessly wandering. Curly, brown locks, forget-me-not eyes, plump, rosy lips - Christine! My life was right again as I ran to her, but she did not budge. She looked to me with a soft smile and accepted my embrace, but hold back with her normal excitement. He let her go and I was happy for that, but the scent of him still lingered in her hair and her skin was cold to the touch. I had so many questions, "Oh, my darling," I sighed with a kiss to her cheek, "Did he hurt you?"

"No, Raoul. Not at all."

The expression on her face was one of a child ripped from his mother's arms. I didn't understand this - she should be happy. She should be counting her blessings that that monster set her free and yet she looked... sad. I wanted to be her comfort, but she stared on mindlessly like I was making her want me. Did she love me? Did she even care about me? What happened to the cheery face I saw that night on the rooftop? I wanted Christine back - but perhaps I never really had her.

The walk back to my home, or manor, rather, was done in complete silence. Christine walked along in a trance like she was daydreaming, but I wished she would speak to me. I wanted to hear that soft, sweet voice, but she didn't speak. I would have to start the conversation, "Why did he let you go?"

She walked on, glancing at the rising sun, "He wanted me to be happy."

"But you do not look happy. Do you love me, Christine?"

She seemed unsettled by my question, but I still put it out. Her face turned pale and she turned her head from me, "I suppose."

"Suppose?" with a glance down to her hands, I saw a golden band on her ring finger and had my suspicions - why on Earth would you let your bride go to another man, "What is that?" I asked pointing to her hand.

"Erm," she eyed the band on her finger and went even more pale, "It is a gift. I have to give this away as a... funeral adornment."

She began to weep and I knew she was telling the truth. I did not know who the dead was, though, and it made me wonder - who would she be this sad for, "Who is dying?"

She bawled painfully and fell onto her knees, slapping the ground in agony. I picked her up, trying to steady her weight in my arms as I went up the cobblestone steps to the manor. My brother opened the door, probably from hearing her commotion, and stepped aside to allow us to enter. I set her on the red loveseat in the sitting room and knelt beside her, "Christine?"

She sniffled and wiped her eyes, pushing a strand of hair from her face and turning into the seat, "Please, Raoul. Leave me alone."

Phillipe motioned towards the dinette and I followed, practically feeling how upset he was, "Raoul, has something happened?"

"I don't know. She won't tell me anything."

He sighed, rubbing each of his temples as Christine cried herself to sleep, "I always knew she was bad for you. Raoul, you need to find a better lady. Christine can't continue our name, she is much too weak. I'm sorry."

"You think I don't know that?!" Christine had become weak and cold to me due to her time with that monster and if it weren't for her tears whenever his name was mentioned, I would hire a team to go in there and kill him once and for all, "She used to be so warm to me, Phillipe. I don't want to hurt her, but our parents would want better for me."

"Here," he gave me a stack of sealed cards and I knew exactly what this was - what am I doing, was all I could ask myself, "I want you to call a more mature lady. You don't have to at this moment, but think about it. I know you're sad about her coldness, but we have to continue our name... and you know I am incapable."

"I know," I looked to Christine as she slept peacefully on the loveseat, "I shall think about this."