Chapter Ten.

CHRISTINE:

...5 January 1888

My choral work was complete, according to what my angel said last night. In July, I celebrated both my eighteenth birthday and my first suitor, who was a poor farmer from the north. Today would be both the fifth anniversary of the opera house and, what my angel had told me, a spectacular day for my career.

Madame Giry congratulated me for my accomplishments with the chorus before she showed me her late birthday gift of which I did not know. I followed her down the hall to an area usually only opera stars resided. We stopped at a pair of mahogany doors and Madame smiled at me for a moment, "A certain ghost has pulled many strings to get you here, but I made the arrangements. This gift is also from our beloved managers Debienne and Poligny. They said themselves that you'll do great things."

I patiently waited as Madame unlocked the doors with a golden key, which she placed in my possession. She let me inside and I gasped at the beauty of this new place. Sure, it was only a dressing room, but it was almost as if I was at home. The opera house was slowly becoming a haven to me, "Are you taking a liking?" Madame said with a soft laugh.

"Taking? Oh, Madame, I love it," I surrounded her in my arms for a moment as if she were my own mother, "Thank you."

When we parted, she glanced around my dressing room and each of us went out to the backstage area. The entire populaire gathered around Messieurs Debienne and Poligny, who stood with two other gentlemen. Madame Giry and I went to the front of the crowd just in time, as Monsieur Debienne announced, "As you all know, Monsieur Poligny and I are getting much too old for this job. Mostly because of a certain... spirit. So, in honor of our retirement, I present Messieurs Armand Moncharmin and Firmin Richard will be taking our positions. Richard?"

"Yes. Greetings, my new cast. I was curious as to whom the lead is tonight?"

"Of course. Mademoiselle Carlotta?" the red headed soprano turned to Monsieur Debienne, "Would you mind singing the jewel aria for Messieurs Richard and Moncharmin?"

"Of course. Maestro!"

The maestro rushed to the piano and Carlotta pushed her way to center stage. Monsieur Richard watched with a casual interest while Monsieur Moncharmin cautiously lit his pipe. I mouthed along as Carlotta began singing, closing my eyes to avoid contact with any watchful eye. Then a powerful energy was with us just as the favored diva transitioned into the lyric part of the piece. I knew it was the ghost - I could feel it in my soul and I saw his tall, slender shadow when I looked up at the catwalk, which was a huge mistake.

Meg scooted beside me, grabbing my hand, "Please tell me I am not the only one who feels the energy."

"No, Meg," I shivered, clinging to her, "I feel it, too."

Before Carlotta could finish 'Ce n'est plus toi', a forest set piece unraveled from the catwalk and scraped just behind her, knocking her down. I wanted to rush over and help, but any time I was involved with Carlotta it was always negative. The maestro, along with our new and former managers, moved the piece away from her. Debienne looked up at the catwalk and called out in a very irritated tone of voice, "Buquet! By God, man, what is going on up there?!"

Joseph appeared out of the dark, tying the sandbags to their original places, "You can ask anyone, Monsieur, but I was not at my place."

Debienne rolled his eyes and took Carlotta by the shoulder. The diva shook him off and I inwardly winced at this movement, "Mademoiselle, please. These things do happen."

"These things do happen?! They have been happening for far too long! And until you stop these things from happening, this thing does NOT happen!"

"Senora, please," Monsieur Richard was desperate and I, having no idea what to do, cowered further into the crowd.

Carlotta headed out the door just before Monsieur Richard could finish. Again, I felt the strong energy and a note fell directly into Madame Giry's hands. Monsieur Moncharmin held his pipe at his hip and rubbed his forehead, "Well this is just fantastic. Our first gala and we do not even have a lead soprano."

I watched Madame open the note and as soon as she read it, she turned her head in my direction. This was not good at all - especially when she approached the Monsieur Moncharmin with, "Christine Daaé could sing the role, Monsieur."

"Daaé?"

With my hands clasped together, I stepped forward, "What is so familiar about that name?"

"My father," I said, with a nervous shake in my voice, "he was a violinist."

He nodded, then turned to Madame again, "Believe me, Monsieur. She can do this. She has been taking lessons from a very good teacher."

"Alright. Would you mind singing for us?"

I nodded, slowly making my way to center stage. The maestro sat at the piano, looking over in my direction, "Do not be shy, dear."

Facing the crowd, I began to sing after the maestro played through the entrance. It seemed that everyone was pleasantly surprised, even Madame Giry. Like a siren, I attracted everyone with my voice and it was like magical power surrounded me. The energy I felt from the ghost earlier was directed towards me and I felt him 'hovering'. I finished, escalating up to B5 and then a fifth down to F5. The glory was overbearing with everyone's applause.

The air grew cold and their applause was interrupted with one, deep-voiced, "Bravissimo," from the catwalks.

It was him - the phantom of the opera.