Chapter 4

Niall walked out of his apartment, making sure that he had locked the door properly and had the keys in their designated slot in his pocket. For the first time in a while, he was feeling free and really, it was all thanks to Jamie leaving out for one of his silly shoots.

The blonde walked down the apartment steps, taking the stairs instead of elevators. The fright he got from his panic attack right in front of so many people was still fresh in his mind. He now preferred to avoid cramped and crowded places as much as he could. Prevention is always better than cure. He made sure to push his snapback further closer to his head, hiding his eyes as much as he possibly could even though he was wearing his sunglasses.

It was already late at night and the blonde really shouldn't be going out to shut places alone but then again, nobody ever bothered him. Even when he was with Jamie, all questions and attention was given to the older man rather than to Niall himself. Even if it was Niall's single that was becoming a worldwide hit or his co-written song that was creating havoc in the music industry, it was always Jamie who answered for him. People on the internet often claimed that Niall was a shy person even though, that statement was far from the truth. Niall wasn't particularly shy, at least not shy enough to let someone else take all the credit for his hard work.

Getting his phone out from his jeans pocket, Niall made sure to ring Louis up, informing the lad to keep the back door open just so Niall could easily sneak in without bothering the girls. He was giddy to see them after such a long time. Louis was like family, hell, he was family to Niall. His best mate, his brother, if there was one person Niall knew he could rely on forever, no matter what the situation called for, it was certainly Louis Tomlinson. The man knew him inside out and kept Niall protected and safe but even Louis had backed off on Jamie and just the thought made Niall frown. He knew it was not Louis' problem, Jamie was Niall's problem, Niall's foolishness was the reason why he was caught in such a loveless romance, a relationship of benefit. Particularly one sided.

He walked towards the gloomier parts of the city, not sure why he didn't take his car but this was fun, walking long distances was fun for the small blonde. He could see people, feel normal for once, feel like he was just another person on the street and just the though was enough to make him feel like he was back in Ireland, roaming the streets with his brother, singing songs out loud and the ladies on the street giggling as they watched the small boy twirl around and be himself. Niall was a happy person, or at least, he used to be.

"Hey, kid. Where you going?" The loud voice pulled Niall out of his thoughts, making him furrow his eyebrows together as he stared at the group of guys sitting right in the middle of the street. He scolded them mentally, not daring to say the words out loud but he really wished they wouldn't litter the streets like that, with their cigarette buds and cheap beer bottles. He nearly gagged when the loud, bald man who had called out to him, took a few steps closer in his direction, the strong stench of alcohol just radiating off of him, making Niall's head swirl around at how nasty it smelled.

"I asked you something kiddo," The man growled again, placing his hands on top of Niall's shoulder as he admired the watch that adorned the blonde's pale wrists. Niall wanted nothing more than to take it out just hand everything over to these bulky men. He could buy these things again but his life, oh lord, even though he wasn't even enjoying his life these past few years, it was still precious to him, and he certainly didn't want to die as of yet.

"This looks so expensive. Are you from one of those posh families kiddo?" Niall prayed that the scum would stop calling him a kid. He might look young, with so many freckles all over his body, and his skin which was way too pale for his liking, a natural blush always coating his cheeks, but he was pretty certain that he didn't look like a goddamn kid. Young - yes, a kid - hell no.