Chapter 18

"Congratulations. It's number three on the US album charts." Niall smiled a bit to himself at his best friend's high pitched voice. It had been exactly 24 hours since he had dropped his album, finally released it after three weeks of just locking himself in the studio and recording it to perfection. No auto tune used. He was glad to have been appreciated so much in the market, even though, really he didn't care much about the chart position but rather more about people enjoying his works. 

"Thanks Lou." The blonde whispered, holding the electronic device closer to his ears. He kept on playing with the cross necklace still wrapped around his neck, tangling his fingers in it before letting it go and repeating that again. Three weeks since he had last seen Harry and considering that today was a special release party - he's well aware that his management house was late - Niall was well aware that Harry was going to be there. 

"Congratulations on the engagement as well." The blonde froze at his best mate's words. There was no hostility or anything in it rather just the blank delivery of those terms but Louis didn't have to say anything for the blonde to guess that his decision was a wrong one. In reality, even he didn't know why he had said yes. A part of him thought it was because there was no other option. He was being proposed to in a public place, in front of Zayn Malik - the artist known for speaking his thoughts out without any censor in his words - and so many other people and of course, in front of Harry. Maybe just one look at those green eyes and Niall should've said no because Jamie wasn't whom he wanted. He wanted Harry, he wanted the boy who tripped on his own feet twice but somehow, manages to lift Niall up without falling or slipping. He wanted the man whom he spent so many blissfully amazing days with. But alas, his mouth had to speak before him, saying the one word he had been muttering out for everything that had ever happened in his life ever since he met Jamie. Like a fool he said 'yes'. 

"Are you happy Niall?" There was a strange note in Louis's voice, as if he was hoping for an affirmative answer from the blonde but Niall kept his lips sealed, preventing himself from breaking out into a whole speech of how wrong everything was- this was all his mistake, every single thing. He was the one who fell for Jamie's trap, he was the one who wanted to be a musician rather than a simple boy from the streets, he was the one who signed a contract agreeing to be with Jamie and he for sure was the one who said yes to the proposal. 

"I-I'm not. I never will be." Niall whispered out at last, after five excruciating minutes of deadly silence. 

"What's going to happen to Harry?" The dreadful question. In all honesty, Niall had no idea what Harry even thought of the situation. Yes, he saw the brunette cry a little, and maybe that was just because of the attachment, the strong connection that they had felt in their limited time together. People cry when even their pet animals die but then they get a new one and everything is well and fine. Wasn't that how Niall was to Harry? A sex friend? Or maybe just two people incredibly lustful towards each other? 

"I don't think he cares Lou." The blonde whispered, feeling a bit pathetic about himself. 

"I think you've made too many mistakes and this was the one thing you were doing right. He was good for you and you just let him go. Just like that. And for what ? For a marriage you don't even want? You are well aware that in the release party tonight, Jamie is going to announce a proper wedding date. It'll be official Niall, it'll be fucking public and then you won't be able to get out of it. Not without all the unwanted attention." Louis sighed on the other end, knowing well that he was making Niall feel worse and worse about everything but the blonde needed this wake up call. He needed to know that Harry was the best thing to have ever come his way. 

"I-I think I'm going to leave tonight. Just run away somewhere maybe. Go back to Ireland, or something." Niall huffed, taking out the black suit he was supposed to be wearing tonight and placing the phone on the bed, turning the speaker on, Niall got ready to dress, shredding out his plain T-shirt and skinny jeans, replacing them with the well fitting suit and tie as he waited for Louis to respond.