Chapter 8: Chill Your Beans!

Recap: " Um... Raven and Kim are at it again". Sean says pointing towards the stairs. I grumble getting up and stomping down the stairs, the two brothers following close behind.

                                                                          ..............................................

 I run down the stairs two at a time, and as I'm on my last one I hear screaming coming from the living room. I stomp the rest of the way to find them "playing tug-of-war with the spelling book I got from the school. I look around to find Lily in the corner crying as the two fight over her book. I storm up to them and snatch both of them up by the hair. They look up surprised and then sheepishly drop the book.

WHY ARE YOU GUYS PLAYING TUG-OF-WAR WITH LILY'S BOOK!  As their about to a reply we all pause as we hear screeching then the shattering of glass and banging at the door. Bo comes running down the stairs, fear evident in his eyes". "They're surrounding the house" he says panting. Instantly I give out orders, "Sean get the car ready, Raven and Bo take Lily and follow Sean."

They all nod to scared to argue. " Whats the plan?" Kim asks shakely drawing in a breath. "Were going to my house, the last time I was there no one was in sight not even the undead. It might be different now but its better than nothing right?" Kim nods as I turn to Xavier.

"I need you and Kim to grab all the guns while I grab the family photos." Kim looks at me with tears in her eyes and smiles. "Thanks Carter you don't know how much those photos mean to me and Raven".  "Yes I do that's why I'm going to go get them" I say in a duh tone trying to lighten the situation at hand.  She shakes,"Leave it to you to ruin a family moment" she says smiling and rushes off.

Xavier turns to me and grabs my face. " You be careful you hear me". He leans in and kisses me softly on the lips. he pulls back and smiles. I come out of my high as we here more glass shattering.

I rush up the stairs and grab all the photos from the hall. As I'm done collecting all the photos I turn to go but stop in my tracks as one of the infected stands by the stairs. why me I say to my self as it cocks its head and sniffs the air. It looks right at me but doesn't screech and charge at me like they usually do. I stay rooted to the spot.

I cant seem to bring myself to run or do anything but breath slowly and evenly. It walks slowly towards me, as its face is inches from mine it sniffs me long and hard for a few seconds that feel like hours. I study it as it looks at me and I notice that its bald to where you cant tell if its a male or female. It steps back then shuffles right past me. I decided to keep my little encounter a secret and jog the rest of the way downstairs. I don't want anyone knowing or suspecting that I might be infected. It can't be right? I haven't turned or had side affects. I shake my head and try to forget for awhile.

I meet up with Xavier and Kim as they come rushing towards the front door carrying loads of guns and ammo. We nod and run out the door to find zombies surrounding the car. "Fuck! what are we going to do!" Xavier says pulling at his hair with his free hand. I smile and rush back into the kitchen. I dig through the drawers to find what I'm looking for and rush back out.

I hold up whats in my hand, they smile as Kim takes it from me and whispers happily " remember when Nick gave you these for your fourteenth birthday" she says admiring the firecrackers. I nod sadly as Xavier grabs the firecrackers angrily. "Lets hurry up and light these" he seethes. I look to Kim but she just shrugs and grabs my hand leading me hastily towards Xavier.

Xavier sets up the crackers and pulls out a lighter. Kim leans into me and whispers, "why does he carry around a lighter?" "How would I know?" I glare at her exasperated. "Well then" she says mad that I yelled at her. I pat her head as Xavier runs up to us once they start to go off. We turn to look at the zombies and find them going crazy, running around trying to figure out were the noise is coming from.

"Lets go" I yell trying to be heard over the noise. I turn slightly  to see them all ready sprinting we run towards the car and Sean starts the engine up as we hop in. I yell the destination and directions out to Sean. I turn to look out the window trying to even out my breathing. I hear shuffling from my left and look up to see Xavier plop down besides me. " Can I ask you a question?" he asks.

"You just did" I say pointing out the obvious. He laughs and quit descends upon us for a few minutes. "Yeah I guess I did". he turns toward me and whispers " Who's Nick?" I look at him trying to hold back my tears as I whisper back. "My brother."

PLEASE VOTE ADD, COMMENT PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Pic of Sean)