Entering Naboo

ANAKIN and PADMÉ successfully arrive on Naboo and are now making their way through Theed to the palace, to have a discussion with the Queen.

ANAKIN
If I grew up here, I don't think I'd ever leave.

PADMÉ
Oh I doubt that.

ANAKIN
No, I mean it. I'm forever awestruck by the beauty. The way the capital shimmers in the sunlight, the way the air always smells of flowers, and the soft, distant sound of the waterfalls.

PADMÉ smiles.
I still remember the first time I saw the Capital, I was very young. I never dreamed that one day I'd actually live there.

ANAKIN
Did you ever dream of being a senator when you were little?

PADMÉ
Not exactly. My dream was to help in the "Refugee Relief Movement." I didn't think about running for elected office. But the more history I studied, the more I realized how much good politicians could do. So when I was eleven, I joined the "Apprentice Legislators," then later on became a Senatorial advisor, with such a passion that, before I knew it, I was elected Queen. Partly because I scored so high on my education certificate, but for the most part it was my conviction that reform was possible. I wasn't the youngest Queen ever elected, but now that I think back on it, I'm not sure I was old enough, or ready.

 I wasn't the youngest Queen ever elected, but now that I think back on it, I'm not sure I was old enough, or ready

ANAKIN
I disagree, the people you served thought you made an incredible effort. I heard they tried to amend the Constitution so you could stay in office.

PADMÉ
Yes, but popular rule isn't exactly democracy. It gives the people what they want, not what they need. And, truthfully, I was relieved when my two terms were up. So were my parents. They worried about me during the blockade and couldn't wait for it all to be over. Actually, I was hoping to have a family by now. My sister has the most amazing daughters...but when the Queen asked me to serve as Senator, I couldn't refuse her.

ANAKIN chuckles.
The Republic needs you, I'm glad you chose to serve...but I sense a great deal of stress in you. And not just from the recent trouble you've dealt with.

PADMÉ
Is that so?

ANAKIN
Yeah, you're always carrying the universe on your shoulders. You should take this time to center yourself, and let everything come into place on its own.

PADMÉ smiles.
I can't help it, Anakin. I'm a politician, stress is an everyday thing.

ANAKIN
Ehh, you'll get there I'm sure.