The Garage

I know people get the idea that this movie made Anakin out to be a psychopath, and while it did in fact do that, you also kinda need to remember he turns into Darth Vader ok. Darth Vader is evil, "hate leads to evil" or whatever, killing is a form of evil. He has to show that budding evil to foreshadow his fate. But also show that he's fighting it. He's conflicted.
___________________________

It is the day after arriving on Tatooine

It is the day after arriving on Tatooine. ANAKIN returned late morning with the body of his mother, completely wrapped in cloth, and has not spoken to anyone. He has been in the garage since then mostly, but has also spent most of the day digging a grave outside the homestead.

It is now nearly sunset, PADMÉ reluctantly comes in the garage with a tray of food where ANAKIN is kneeling by the speeder bike, using an electronic wrench to work on it. He hasn't had a single thing to eat all day. He glances at her and she sees that his eyes and nose are pink. He looks back at the speeder.

ANAKIN
The shifter broke...I'm just trying to get it back together.

PADMÉ puts the tray down. She looks over and sees 3PO who is in shut down mode, with shiny gold outerwear covering his body.

PADMÉ
You finished 3PO.

ANAKIN
I didn't get to before, and mom...she never knew how to work with things like this. I assume that's why he was never done.

PADMÉ also sees a gravestone that he made with "Shmi Skywalker" carved into it, but did not say anything of it. She wasn't going to stay any longer, even though the last thing he needed was to be alone all day. She begins to leave.

ANAKIN
Padmé?

She turns around and he looks at her pitifully.

ANAKIN choking up
Wh...why did she have to die? Why couldn't I save her?

PADMÉ doesn't want to answer, knowing she can't console him and that nothing she says could have any positive effect on him, but does so anyway.

PADMÉ inhales shortly, hesitates.
You have every right to be frustrated...but you did all you cou--

ANAKIN sharply
No!

PADMÉ recoils, he rises to his feet.

ANAKIN
When I got to her she fell apart in my arms, I was too late. She was barely even there, all battered and fragile...just like in my nightmares...

He holds his forehead, exhales, sniffles, then turns to the box behind him and begins putting tools back into it.

ANAKIN
And Obi-Wan, he says it was nothing, not to give in to my worries. But I was right! All along I was right! He's afraid I'll become more powerful than him (chuckles briefly) please...I will be the most powerful Jedi he's ever seen. I'll even learn to stop people from dying.

PADMÉ
Anakin...

ANAKIN
Now that I know what I'm capable of, who knows what else I can do when I reach my full potential...

PADMÉ closes her eyes, knowing ANAKIN'S lack of better judgement is only a result from the trauma and his temper. He thinks of his mom again, then looks at her.

ANAKIN in a softer tone.
She tried to tell me she loved me...

ANAKIN can't breathe, his lips quiver and tears fall. PADMÉ couldn't stand to see him like this. It put a lump in her throat, now her eyes sting and well up.

He hurls a wrench across the garage, it clatters to the floor. PADMÉ freezes, heart pounding, eyes wide. He turns his back and wipes his face, then studies his trembling hands.

ANAKIN in disbelief with himself.
I...I killed them. Every single one of them...

PADMÉ is slow to realization, then her mouth opens slightly is shock. He faces her.

ANAKIN continues in a voice tinging with anger.
Not just the men...but the women...and children. I hate them, I hate being here! This is hell itself!

ANAKIN stares bitterly at PADMÉ as the thought of the sand peoples' vicious nature suffocates him. PADMÉ is shocked and frightened, a tear falls down her face. It's a side of him she never knew was there. ANAKIN sees how alarmed she is, he becomes ashamed and drops to his knees. All that's heard are the short breaths that escape him as he sobs with his head down.

PADMÉ thinks of all the cruelty and suffering he and his mother have endured all their life on Tatooine. She saw it in his face, she heard it in his voice, just how much he resented coming back. After standing frozen for a while, PADMÉ carefully approaches. She lowers onto her knees behind him, and places her hands on his shoulders, resting one side of her face against his back. She feels him ease, he holds her hands from over his shoulders and lifts his head upward.

ANAKIN
I couldn't...I couldn't control myself...I should not hate, it's not the w-way. But nothing can make me forgive them; they are mindless, they act without will. I can't forgive...

PADMÉ sniffles.
I don't imagine any other Jedi had it easy. Many loved ones had to be let go...I'm sure of that.

ANAKIN turns his head to her side.
But you don't understand. I knew better, I felt her anguish, I saw it...I should've given into it. I could've gotten to her so much sooner—

PADMÉ
—Shhhh, this was not your fault. You're not all powerful...no one is. You are human; no matter how great a Jedi you become, you will always be human...

ANAKIN thinks, then drops his head once more and lightly squeezes her hands. They continue to sob together.