The Homestead

I needed to rework this because the old guy Cliegg seemed insensitive and dry. I'm still in the process of reworking because there's no legitimate enough logic as to why the sand people just randomly kidnapped his mother and held her hostage. Apparently they tortured her or something, but why??? Still working.
__________________________

ANAKIN and PADMÉ made it safely to Tatooine and were told where to go from a run in by ANAKIN'S old master, WATTO. He directs them to a homestead where a man named CLIEGG LARS lives with his son OWEN and his son's girlfriend BERU. ANAKIN'S mother was bought by CLIEGG a couple years after ANAKIN left, but CLIEGG soon married her.

The Naboo Starship descends, hovers, and land on a bluff. ANAKIN and PADMÉ get out. They look down from the edge of the bluff to where the homestead is seen on the desert floor below.

PADME
Stay with the ship, R2.

R2 WHISTLES as ANAKIN and PADMÉ start down the trail toward the homestead. C-3PO is working outside the homestead. He still lacks an outer covering; his inner parts and wiring show. He looks up as ANAKIN and PADMÉ arrive.

C-3PO
Good evening. May I help you?

ANAKIN
Hi 3PO.

C-3PO
Oh, my...oh my! Master Anakin! My goodness, I can hardly believe it! And this must be Miss Padmé.

PADMÉ
Hello again.

ANAKIN
I've come to see my mother.

C-3PO
Oh dear...I think we'd better go inside.

ANAKIN becomes tense. 3PO shows them to the courtyard.

C-3PO
Master Owen. Somebody to see you.

OWEN and BERU come out into the courtyard.

OWEN
Hello, can I help you?

ANAKIN
I'm Anakin Skywalker. I'm here looking for my mother, Shmi.

OWEN taken aback
Oh, um...I'm Owen Lars, this is my girlfriend Beru. I guess I'm your step-brother...

ANAKIN is confused by this as OWEN shakes his hand.

OWEN
I had a feeling you might show up some day.

ANAKIN
Is my mother here?

CLIEGG
She is not.

CLIEGG LARS swings from the house on a small floating chair. One of his legs is heavily bandaged; the other is missing. He balances and puts out a hand.

CLIEGG
Cliegg Lars. Shmi is my wife...come on inside. We have a lot to talk about.

CLIEGG, OWEN, PADME and ANAKIN sit around the table inside, BERU brings the drinks from the kitchen.

CLIEGG
It was just before dawn when the...when the Tusken Raiders came out of nowhere.

ANAKIN already grimaces. He rests his elbows on the table, locking his hands together into a fist in front of his mouth. CLIEGG hadn't even finished telling him what happened, and already he could tell. It was the last thing he wanted to hear.

CLIEGG
Your mother had gone out early like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators. From the tracks, she was about halfway to the vaporators when they took her. They walk like men, but they're monsters. Thirty of us went out after her, but most of them called it quits. Thirteen more are still out there looking. I'd be with them, only...I just couldn't ride anymore until I heal.

ANAKIN puts his arms down and stares at the table.

CLIEGG
This isn't the way I wanted to meet you, son. This isn't how your mother and I planned it. I don't want to give up on her, it's just not in me, but she's been gone a month. There's little hope she's lasted this long.

ANAKIN doesn't bother to correct him. She's still out there. He stands up and makes for the courtyard.

OWEN
Where are you going?

ANAKIN, as if OWEN couldn't already tell.
To find my mother.

He turns abruptly, and leaves.