Chapter One

I grabbed a cup of coffee and went to the dugout and overlooked the field. This team was my life. The past two years I have devoted my time to the Toronto Blue Jays and it was paying off.

My name was becoming familiar in the MLB community, and I have been offered many positions on many teams, but nothing will ever compare to my co-manager position with Gibby.

John Gibbons was a quiet man. Believe it or not he is. And but he has the best guidance when it comes to baseball. And he can give a nasty remark to the umpires every once in a while.

I loved being co-manager, I got to help make the lineups, I got to work with the guys and most importantly, my favourite sport was my career. I may not be playing but I sure have some fun with these guys.

"Hey Lucy! Come bat with us," Josh Donaldson yelled from the field.

I grabbed my bat and helmet and bounded up the steps and over to the batting cages.

"Alright Martin, let's see what you got," Josh challenged.

Jason Grilli threw a pitch right down the middle of the zone and I swung my bat, with my follow through bellow my shoulders. And all I heard was the crack of my bat as I watched the ball fly across the field and over the wall. Homerun for Martin.

I ran out of the batting cage and ran the bases, just like the professionals do and when my feet touched home plate, I ran over to the dugout where everyone gave me high fives, just like a normal game. I even did the flex with Ryan Goins.

My hand tingled after it touched his, but I ignored it because I didn't want to make my feelings for him completely obvious.

|||||||||

I gathered up the guys in the clubhouse and told them the lineup.

"Leading off we have Bats, then Saunders and Edwin. Hitting cleanup we have Justin. Fifth through ninth we have, Devon, Martin, Pillar, Barney and Ryan. ARE WE READY TO KICK SOME RED SOX ASS!" I chanted.

There was a chorus of cheers so I assumed they were ready. "JAYS ON THREE! ONE TWO THREE JAYS!" we all said in unison. It was a basic cheer but it got the boys going.

"Let's go boys!" I yelled as I started running through the tunnel to the dugout.

"Alright Michael is on deck, Bats is batting, Edwin, be ready," I said in my manager voice. I like using my manager voice.

Jose struck out and so did Michael. And Edwin hit a pop fly so it was a three up three down inning.

"Alright Stro, go out there, keep good command on your ball, you go out there and do your thing," I told him giving him a mini pep talk.

He nodded and took his spot on the mound. He threw a perfect inning. Three up three down.

"Alright, ready to go Jus?" I asked using the nickname I gave him.

"Yep ready to go," he said.

"Alright Devon, on deck pronto. And Russ, be ready," I loved my job because I could boss my older brother around.

Another three up three down inning, and I sent Marcus back out to the mound.

He decided to pitch to David Ortiz and he got a double. Then the batter behind him hit a double and a run scored.

"Damn," I mumbled.

Then Marcus got his command back and struck out the next three batters, and I let our a breath I didn't know I was holding.

He came bouncing back into the dugout and I high fived him. "You did good Stro, but can I make one suggestion? Just walk Ortiz. He's going to hit the ball, no matter what pitch you give him. And maybe the bases will be loaded, and he gets up and hits a grand slam, we definitely don't want that. Just talk it over with Russell and see what he says."