Chapter Twenty Eight

The look on John's face when he walked into the dugout was pure surprise and awe.

"You're pregnant?" He asked.

"Yeah I am," I said smiling.

"How far along? You're getting pretty big!"

"About five months now, it's a girl."

"Oh wow I betcha Ryan is super excited," he remarked.

"Oh he is very very excited," I said.

"Wow congratulations kid I look forward to meeting this precious little girl," he told me before going out to where the guys were.

I decided that I needed to take a walk and walked out to the cages.

There was a piece of paper taped to the cage that read: NO PREGNANT WOMEN ALLOWED! SORRY BABY GIRL YOU AREN'T GETTING HURT OUT HERE!

Oh that Ryan.

"Ryan!" I yelled.

He came running over.

"What! What's wrong?" He asked looking alarmed.

"This sign," I said holding it so he could see.

"Oh. Baby girl I don't want you to get hit by a baseball. That's not very good for the baby or anyone really. Come on I don't want you to get hurt," he pleaded.

"I know you want what's best for me but this is kinda my job. I'll be okay! Alright? You don't have to worry Ryan," I said hugging him. Sometimes I could get a little snappy with him but he always took it like a champ.

"Alright. I trust you, but please be careful okay?"

"I will," I promised.

I noticed Russell struggling with his swing so I walked over.

"Want some tips?" I asked him.

"No I'll get it don't worry. You really shouldn't be inside the cages," he pointed out.

"I know I just came to see if you wanted help," I told him and walked away.

Russell was kind of stubborn when it came to the meticulous things like his swing.

He's had the same swing almost his whole life and when people tried to help him make it better he shut them out. He liked things his way. And I respected that.

My ankles and back started to hurt so I went and sat down in the dugout.

When I sat down I tried to untie my shoes. That resulted in sitting in a very weird and uncomfortable position.

As soon as I took my shoes off I could see my ankles starting to puff up.

"Goddammit," I whispered.

I stood up and walked to the clubhouse. I needed to lay down and elevate my ankles.

I sat on the floor with my feet propped up on a chair to help with the swelling.

I took my socks off too and seen my pretty pink toenails that Ryan painted for me.

When the guys started coming back in the clubhouse they were slightly alarmed to see me sitting like I was.

"Lucy what's wrong?" Ryan asked as soon as he walked in.

"My ankles were the size of footballs," I told him.

"Well that hasn't happened before," he said looking slightly alarmed.

"The heat and my socks and shoes made my ankles swell out. Trust me it happens to most pregnant women. In fact I don't know a woman who's ankles haven't swelled out at some point. I'm just doing normal protocol for any swollen body part, just elevating it. I'll be fine don't worry but this kinds hurts my back."

"Why don't you just lay flat on your back?" Marco asked.

"Because pregnant women aren't supposed to lay on their backs, it could crush their bladders and do some damage to their backs," I said reciting some information I read on a pamphlet. "And it's just not comfortable."

"True enough bus sitting scrunched up like that can't be exactly great either," Ryan stated.

"It's not," I said getting up.

I sat down at my cubby and grabbed my socks. I bent over and got my sock on my toes.

The I bent over again and pulled it all the way up to my knees.

Perks of wearing knee socks: it's kinda like a workout in itself, bend over, pull up sock all the way up. It's like using a rowing machine.

After I finished my second sock I looked up to see everyone was watching me put my socks on.

"Oh come on it can't be that interesting," I say.

"It is really, and I'll be putting those shoes on for you unless you wanna try that too," Ryan said walking over with my cleats.

"Oh I definitely cannot wear those right now. Grab my sport sandals I don't really care if I look stupid. I'm hot, sore and pregnant. Anyone would be stupid to test me right now."

"True," Ryan said setting my shoes in front of me.

I slipped them on then said, "Let's go kick some ass boys."

|||||||||

As soon as my head hit the pillow I fell asleep. I was so exhausted I didn't even eat supper.

Ryan let me sleep for a while but he woke me up so I could eat. He went to McDonald's and got me a double big Mac with large fries and a vanilla milkshake. God bless him.

"Oh my gosh I love you," I said to him.

"Why do you only seem to love me when I bring you food?" He joked.

"Because food is my life," I teased.

"But I'm not?" He pouted.

"Of course you are turkey! I was just teasing. I love you more than food," I said eating one of my fries.

"Oh my god. You finally said it! You love me more than food!"

He whipped out his phone and turned on the camera.

"Say it again! Please I need proof," he pleaded.

"Fine start," I said eating another fry.

"Go," he said.

"Listen up everyone. I love Ryan Matthew Goins more than I love food. And that's saying a lot," I said staring into the camera.

Ryan put the phone down after I finished saying it and ran out the door.

We were supposed to move into the hotel all the rest of the guys were in, but our room wasn't ready so we had to stay here another night.

I was okay with it. I mean who doesn't love a big comfy bed and a huge flat screen TV?

I finished my burger and fries and moved on to my milkshake. Man it was good.

I texted Ryan.

Did you eat yet?

Yes while you were sleeping

When you take a nap, a lot happens.

|||||||||

I wish I hadn't have eaten so much food. I was really regretting it.

Every time I woke up in the middle of the night, I was sick.

I tried to be quiet because I didn't want to wake Ryan, but every time I got out of bed, he did too.

"Come on baby girl let's go back to bed," he cooed.

"Alright," I said leaning into his side.

I probably smelled really sour, but Ryan didn't seem to care. He cuddled me all night long. He was so good that way.

Everybody always says to marry your best friend. But I've seen lots of best friends fall in love with each other but it not work out. That's why I started dating Ryan, we were in love but not best friends. And now after being with him for almost a year, I can now say that I'm going to marry my best friend.

And man it's the best feeling in the whole world.