Chapter Twelve

I woke up to Ryan shifting in the bed.

I groaned and slung my right arm lazily over his waist.

"Good morning beautiful," he said brushing the hair out of my face.

"Good morning," I smiled, staring into his eyes.

"Come on, let's get you to physio," he said picking me up. "Your sleeping attire is..."

"Skimpy? I know but I was too lazy to put on pajamas," I finished for him.

He put me down in front of my closet and I grabbed my Under Armour clothes and slipped them on.

I grabbed my elastic bands and started loosening up my shoulder. It hurt so much. I couldn't wait until the pain was gone.

I brushed through my hair and asked Ryan if he would french braid it. It wasn't fair that he was a better braider than me.

I grabbed and apple on the way out the door.

My physio therapist worked me hard today. She said my shoulder had progressed a lot faster than expected. Maybe only another month or so of therapy and I'd be back at it.

But then my doctor came and told me something no athlete ever wants to hear.

No matter what we did to my shoulder, I would never be able to swing a bat ever again.

I was crushed.

I left therapy in tears and climbed into Ryan's car and told him to drive.

"What's wrong?" He asked clearly worried.

"Just drive," I said putting my face in my hands.

"Do you want to go to the field?" He asked driving.

"Is Russell there?" I asked trying to catch my breath.

"Yeah everyone is."

'Then take me there."

The ride was silent except for the sobs that wracked my frame.

Once he stopped the car I flew out of it and ran down to the clubhouse. I flung open the door and ran over to Russell and cried into his shoulder.

"Luce? What's wrong?" He asked. The Ryan appeared in the doorway with my bag. "What did you do to my sister?" He said growing angry.

"I didn't do anything, she came out of physio in a fit of tears and ordered me to bring her to you," he said to my furious brother.

"What's wrong Lucy. You need to spill now," he said as everyone looked at him.

"Can I tell you in private?"

"Yeah come on," he said taking me to the dugout.

"My doctor told me today that I will never be able to swing a bat again," I said sobbing into his shoulder.

"Oh my god. How can they tell?"

"I don't know. The doctor just told me today that I will never be able to play baseball again. I don't know what I'm going to do Russ," I sobbed.

"Well right now you have to tell Ryan. He deserves to know Luce. The guy's crazy about you. And I know that you're crazy about him too."

"Yeah I'm going to tell him right now. And I have to get changed," I said letting go of my brother.

"Yeah, but I just want you to know I'm here for you," he added.

"I know Russ," I said.

I walked into the clubhouse and sat beside Ryan.