Chapter Twenty Two

When the guys found out that I was going to go to Houston, they kind of shut me out for a while. And I get it. I was going to up and leave them. But it still stung.

I would try to give them their pre game speech and they'd all ignore me. It made me actually want to leave the organization.

After about a week of the ignorance I'd had enough.

"Listen up guys. I'm tired of this. You guys shutting me out. Yeah I was gonna go to Houston. But I decided not to because you guys mean way to much to me. Now grow the hell up and get over it," I spewed.

They all just kind of looked at me like I had a growth coming out of my head.

"Lucy, we're glad you didn't go to Houston. But I think we're all just trying to wrap our heads around you actually wanting to leave us. That hurts you know," Michael said after a long pause.

"But-"

"Don't say you never wanted to leave us because you must've if you were gonna run away with lover boy from Texas," Josh interjected.

"He was never my lover," I retorted. "And I couldn't leave you guys. I don't even know why I would ever consider it. I'm still here and I'm not leaving ever. You guys are my rock. I don't know what I'd ever do without you guys."

"Honesty Lucy, you're like the glue that keeps us together. You always pick us up when we're down," Ryan added.

I felt myself smile before I could stop myself. I was still so madly in love with him. But he has a girlfriend. He's moved on.

"Of course you'd stand up for her," Josh said rolling his eyes.

"Hey now that's my sister you're talking about," Russell exclaimed standing up, pointing an accusing finger at Josh.

"Sorry," he mumbled under his breath.

This was way to awkward.

"Alright guys, listen up. We need to win today. We need to keep our lead in the east. Just because we have a nice-ish lead on the teams doesn't mean we let our guards down. We go out there and play our best ball every day. In the end it all comes down to who wants it more. And you guys want it bad. So play like you want it. Let's go boys!"

I should have been a motivational speaker.

They guys actually listened to me and they started buzzing with energy.

I sat in the dugout as the guys won and thought to myself about how happy I was that I stayed. Even though they shut me out for a while,  they were still my boys. Even though all of them are older than me.

"Hey Lucy! Wanna join us for supper tonight?" Ryan called as I was about to leave.

I smiled before turning around, "Yes I'll join you guys for supper."

"Great! Wanna ride with me?"

How could I resist? "Of course! Thanks for asking, when are you guys leaving?"

"Right now, let's go Luce," he said as he pushed the door open and walked ahead of me.

"Yeah I just gotta tell David where I'm going," I explained falling into step behind him.

I dialed David's number and listened to it go to voicemail. I left him a voicemail telling him that I was going out with the team and not to worry about me.

Then I climbed into the passenger seat of Ryan's sports car and we drove to the Family Restaurant.

The drive was silent, but a comfortable silence.

When we got to the restaurant most of the guys were already there and I sat across from Ryan and beside Josh D and Russell.

I ordered my usual burger and fries and waited for my food to come when my phone rang.

David showed up on my screen.

I excuse myself from the table and answered the phone.

"David?" I asked into the phone.

"Lucy? When are you coming home?"

"I don't know I just ordered my food. Why? Is everything okay?" I asked growing slightly alarmed.

"There's this guy here looking for you. And he's not happy. The sooner you get home the better because I don't want him here at all," he said growing frantic.

"What's his name David?"

"I don't know just come here please and get rid of him," he pleaded.

"Alright. I'll be right over," I said before hanging up.

I walked over and told the guys what was going on and Ryan handed me the keys to his car.

I thanked him and promised not to wreck his car and drove quickly to my apartment.

Before I could open my apartment door I could hear the yelling.

It was Alex. Why was he here?

"What are you doing here Alex!" I exclaimed whipping the door open.

"You're coming with me to Houston! I don't care what you say you're coming with me. My team wants you and they're gonna have you. At any cost. You're the best in the business right now Lucy. And Houston only wants the best and they will have the best."

"I'm sorry but I'm not going to Houston with you. My home is here in Toronto with my team. Hate to break it to you Bregman, but your team is just gonna have to miss out on this one. I'm not going with you. Now get out of my apartment right now before I kick your ass," I threatened.

"I'm not scared of you. I'm not leaving until I get what I came for," he said completely unfazed by me.

"Well sorry for your luck but I'm staying here," I retorted.

"Lucy, Lucy, Lucy. I'm disappointed you know. But I'll let it slide this time. But I'll be back just so you know. And next time, you're coming with me whether you like it or not," he said through gritted teeth before leaving and slamming my door.

David came over and wrapped me in a hug. I held on for dear life because my life was starting to crumble around me piece by piece and I didn't know how to make it stop.

|||||||||

I woke with a start. It was dark in my room and I was in my bed. And there was someone beside me.

I felt my heart rise in my throat before I heard the familiar soft snores of David.

I sighed and layer back down and David started to stir.

"Are you awake Luce?" He mumbled in his sleepy state.

"Yeah I just woke up but I'm going back to sleep," I said turning to face him.

With the light shining in my window from the city life, I could see his beautiful brown eyes shining.

He pressed his lips to my forehead and I felt my eyes flutter shut. He pulled me close to him and I fell asleep again, in the arms of my best friend.