Ch. 10 - Pancake Eater

"Are you crazy, Elliott? I'm not jumping off that cliff!" I scream.

He sighs and holds my arm gently before I can leave, his eyes staring into mine. "When are you going to learn to live?"

"I know that if I jump off that cliff there's a good chance I'll never learn!" I snap, crossing my arms over my chest. "There's no way I'm jumping."

"Hey, I promise you won't get hurt," he says softly with a sweet smile, as if that'll get me to go through with it.

"You can't promise me that. I've seen the injuries you've gotten," I remind. "A huge gash in my side isn't something I particular yearn for!"

"My mind was in a different place those nights," he explains. "I was completely off my game."

I shake my head. "I can't do it. It-it's illegal and dangerous and I happen to like my face the way it is now."

"Hey, I like your face the way it is now too." He stares into my eyes, throwing me off guard. "If you jump tonight, you'll feel something you've never felt before. Your heart races when you look over the edge, at the giant waves and pointy rocks. There's a thrill unlike anything else when you take that leap and fear everything going wrong, but then you crash into the water and know you'll be okay," he says passionately.

"Why do you want me to jump with you?"

"I don't know," he speaks, his voice quiet. "I just know I want it to be you." He steps forward and takes my hand in his. "You're special."

I let out a small laugh and pull my hand back. "I can't imagine how many girls you've used that one on, Elliott Kennedy." I turn around to head back in the forest.

Elliott chases after me, throwing his shirt over his head. "Where are you going?"

"I'll find a ride home," I mutter. "You don't need to follow me."

"What did I do?"

I stop in the middle of the forest, ignoring the bugs flying around me. "I don't know what you were expecting, Elliott, but I'm not going to drop my panties at the sight of you talking sweet and taking me to sacred places and staring deeply into my eyes! I'm not some floozy!"

"That's not what I was doing," he argues, looking overwhelmed and a little sheepish, as if I caught him in a trap.

"Oh, is it not? Why did you bring me here then?"

He can't find the right words, his eyes all over the place. "I'm sorry." He wears a crooked grin on his face. "I guess Jake Acker made me think you would be easy or something."

I bite the side of my cheek and try my best to keep it together. "Yeah. I bet he did."

"Look, you're not that innocent either, you know? You've been flirting with me all week."

"I have not!" I argue. "Just because I've been speaking to you does not mean I'm flirting with you. I'm a professional and I wouldn't bring my love life into work."

"Oh, please," he mutters. "I can tell you like me."

"Well, you're wrong," I say and cross my arms over my chest. "I'm not into conceited jerks who think that girls will easily fall for the bad boy with a sensitive side and a passion act."

Elliott laughs. "Bad boy?"

"Would you prefer asshole?" I ask and cock my head to the side.

"You think you have me all figured out," he says assumably.

"And you think no guy has ever used that line before," I shoot back. "You know what, this argument is stupid. I apologize for not wanting to be another one of your Carters, Elliott. You carry on with the cliff diving. I'll be at your house taking care of your family."