Ch. 11 - Dumb Teen Soap Opera

Elliott and I haven't spoken in four days. He had his Spanish final yesterday and is now done with his summer school. Now, he has no real reason to come home every night. He has already taken advantage of that. We left off at an awkward place.

Speaking of awkward places, Addison hasn't been acting comfortable around me recently. There is no doubt in my mind that is has something to do with Mike. I don't know what to say to her because quite frankly I don't see what is uncomfortable about the situation. I'm clearly not a threat; he's like a brother to me and I'm like a sister to him. I know him really well, yes, but that doesn't affect their relationship. I don't want Addison to feel any animosity towards me.

Other than that, things have been going smoothly in the Kennedy house. Jonas has moved on from his grudge towards me and even joined Nora, Jett, and me on our walk. I took Bethany along too since she doesn't get out much.

The twins and Ethan love their camp, so I don't have to worry about any 'homesick' calls. The counselor told me it happens often, even though it's just an eight-hour day camp and most of the kids live five minutes away. Ethan told me Manny, his best friend, was one of those kids who hated camp. His mom has to pick him up everyday after lunchtime, which is also the time when the kids do physical activities outside.

"Can I get this?"

I turn my head to see Jonas holding up a pack of ten water-guns. "Why would you need those?"

"Why wouldn't I?" he challenges.

"Put that back," I sigh and grab pancake mix off the shelf.

Jonas pouts and shoves the pack back on the shelf before taking the cart out of my hands and riding it down the isle. I roll my eyes at his childishness.

"Can I get these?" he asks next, pointing to a box of eighty fruit-roll ups.

"First of all, be careful with Bethany in that cart," I start. "Second of all, I know you'll eat the entire box in one day. Too much sugar."

"I'm a mature thirteen-year-old man. I can handle my sugar."

I stare at him long enough for him to let out a huff and put the box back. Taking the cart back before he hurts himself or Beth, I continue my shopping. I had each of the kids edit the shopping list for this trip. I had to cross out three suggestions of buying a puppy and six suggestions of a trampoline. Realistically, I only have fourth-three things on the list. And there were one-hundred items to begin.

"Who asked for pads? Is someone joining the football team or something?" Jonas asks in confusion, reading the list with his eyes squinted.

"Not football pads, bud," I laugh and take the list back.

He looks confused for a bit longer before finally figuring it out. "Gross!"

I smile and push the cart down the next idle. We are able to get everything that is on the list in a little over half an hour. That included the time Jonas bothered me with random stuff he just needed to have. I think he'll survive without a electric head-scratcher.

In the checkout line, Jonas unloads the cart and jokingly puts Beth on the conveyer belt. I snatch her off in time, scolding the boy like his mother. Throughout the chaos, I don't even realize who the checkout boy is until I have to pay. He looks out-of-place in his uniform, a blue vest and a buttoned shirt with khakis. His smoldering look gives me chills.