Ch. 19 - Triple Date

it's Jordy Baan's birthday...how could I not have a surprise update??

"A triple date?"

"Yes. Me, Flynn, you, Jake, Elliott and his friend."

"Nora, I don't know," I sigh. "I don't want to lead Jake on by inviting him on a date. Plus, Elliott and I haven't been on the same page in awhile, so things will just be awkward."

'Elliott and I haven't been on the same page' is my euphemism for 'I rejected him and we're both pretending like nothing is wrong but we both know something is wrong.' We've just been friendly towards one another, like normal. Elliott makes a few flirtatious comments, but that's just him. There's this tension that follows us whenever we're together that causes me to suffocate.

She pouts. "But I really want you to be there! Elliott is inviting some girl that Flynn doesn't know and I don't want to be stuck with her while Flynn and Elliott are bromancing the whole night."

"Why don't you just tell Flynn that you don't want to go with them? Just go on a regular date with him."

"I can't! We're keeping things casual. Intimacy just doesn't happen during double dates," she states factually. "Can't you just ask Abraham?"

"I barely know Abraham," I remind.

"What better place to get to a know a guy than on a triple date?"

"I could think of a couple places, actually." I place my hands on my hips. "How badly do you want me to come?"

"So, so, so badly!"

I sigh, deciding that it wouldn't be that bad to go on this "triple date." It's really more of a hangout than a date. If I were to invite Jake, that would give him the impression that I wanted to see him romantically. Also, Elliott doesn't seem to like Jake very much. I now know why.

I don't want to rub a relationship with another guy in Elliott's face. He seemed genuinely upset after I told him we couldn't be together a few days ago. Although he hasn't acted it this entire week, I could imagine he's still hurting. I am.

"Fine. I'll go as long as Addison can watch the kids," I say officially. "What are we doing?"

"Going to dinner at six-thirty and then a drive-in movie," she explains. "It'll be so much fun. I promise."

"Yeah, yeah." I pick up Beth from her highchair and hold her in my arms. "I'll call Abraham and ask if he wants to come with."

Nora does a little happy dance before lunging to give me a quick hug. "You're the best! I'll come over to help you pick an outfit later! Now, I better get back home before Jett burns our house to the ground."

"Bye, Nora."

She leaves through the front door, a smile on her face. I send a text to Abraham and ask if he'd want to come with me tonight. I notice the many texts I've received from Jake over this last week. He keeps asking me to hang out or go to dinner with him. I come up with excuse after excuse.

There's someone else, I imagine myself finally being able to admit.

But there isn't right now. There is no Elliott and Ivy, something I can only blame on myself. I have thought about trying to distract myself by putting effort into a relationship with Jake, but that would just be me wasting his time. He should find someone who wants to be with him the same way I want to be with Elliott.