Ch. 42 - Operation Film Lovers

"Ivy Lynch! Flynn McClean! I'm so happy you guys could make it! Happy summer, friends!" Jake Acker holds his beer up in the air and fist pumps with his free hand to the music blaring through the house.

"Yeah, dude," Flynn says and pats his back. "Where can I get a drink?"

Jake points down to a cooler off in the corner of the room before turning to me. "So, Ivy Lynch, how's it hanging?"

"I'm doing well. How are you?"

He nods and downs his drink. "Good, good. Working hard, studying hard, playing hard. It's all good."

I smile. "Sounds like it." I glance around the room briefly. "Is your fiancé here?"

"Yeah! I think she's in the pool house doing yoga."

"She's doing yoga during your party?"

"Well, she's a yoga instructor. Drunk people pay good money. It's our main source of income." He looks over my shoulder. "Dan Hobbs is that you, my man?"

I lift my hand to wave goodbye as he walks right past me to greet his friend Dan. Heading outside, I pass Flynn who is in mid-conversation with Kirk and Abraham. He gives me a head nod and continues telling his story.

There are only a few people in the black by the pool. The lights are low and makes facial recognition near impossible. Just as I thought I could walk by unnoticed, someone calls out my name.

I recognize the voice immediately. "Landon. Hey." I always forget that Elliott's cliff friends are also friends with Jake Acker.

"Hey!" Yogi walks over to give me a hug. I stand there awkwardly as he wraps his arms around my shoulders. "I haven't seen you what feels like ages."

"Yeah," I comment briefly and turn to the rest of the group so I won't have to solely converse with Yogi. Something about him has always made me uncomfortable and continues to. "How has everyone been?"

"We've been good. We were just talking about Elliott, actually," Jase says.

"Why don't you join us?" Angelina invites. "Take a seat."

"Got any stories about your boy?" Stanley asks as I tentatively take a seat on one of the patio chairs. "I was just telling the group about the time he got totally hammered and jumped off the cliff butt naked."

I raise my eyebrows and nod. "Wow. I can't believe I missed that."

"It's not like it was anything you haven't seen before," Yogi jokes and sits next to me, throwing his arm over my shoulder. "I'm sure this girl has got hundreds of naked Elliott stories to share."

"Not as many as you'd think." I fold my hands together at my lap. "He tends to be clothed when we hang out."

"You two are still together, right?" Jase asks. He turns to Angelina "Is that rude of me to ask?"

"Depends on the answer, babe," she replies and pats his knee.

"We're not together right now," I answer truthfully, though my words feel like a lie. "Just friends."

Angelina slaps Jase's knee. "I told you it was rude of you to ask."

Jase rolls his eyes and looks at me. "I'm sorry, Ivy. We were all rooting for your relationship."

"I wasn't," Yogi whispers in my ear.

I jerk in my seat, leaning as far away from him as possible. "Uh, yeah, I was too. It's just complicated."

"How's school going, kid?" Hardy asks to change the subject.

I continue talking to the group for awhile. Starting with Jase and Angelina, the crowd dwindles down as people begin to leave. When it's down to just me, Yogi, and Stanley, I know it is time to get out of there and get to the pool house.