Ch. 45 - The Best Mistake

Five Years Later

I throw on my shoes, grab my backpack, and rush down to the bus station. I started working at North Star Medical Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island at the beginning of this year.

I love what I'm doing. The people in the hospital are great and very supportive. Although it's a heavy job to deal with, I have developed such a passion for work over the past few years.

My days are pretty consistent with work, eat, and sleep. I wake up, get on the bus to sleep or eat, work, go home on the bus to sleep or eat, and then go to bed. The shifts are sporadic, and I never know when I'm going to get called in. I've almost gained an appreciation for the unknowing in this job, since everything else in my life is set so straight.

I live in an apartment with Nora. She graduated with a degree in education and is teaching at an elementary school in the city. I'm pretty sure she'll move in with Flynn soon, once he puts a ring on it. The golden couple needs to make it out alive.

Sometimes I stop and think about how different my life had been back when I lived in Brookings, Oregon. I haven't been back there in three years, not since Vic and Jackie moved to Norway for their photography museum.

Jett stayed with the Kennedy's until he left for college, but he always came to visit me in Rhode Island or Nora at UCLA where she got her degree before she moved out here by me. Jett is now at Florida State University studying film. He has found so many close friends just in his first year of being there, which I guess I expected from that overly social kid.

High School was a much better time for Jett than his primary school days had been. He joined so many different clubs and really found his passion for film. As for his relationship with Jonas, they decided that it was best to just keep being best friends, and they're still as strong as ever.

Jonas went to Oregon State this year to play soccer. He was on varsity all four years of high school and was one of the better players. I wish I had been able to make a game, but my schedule was too hectic to allow a trip back down to Oregon. With my class schedule and practicals all piling up, the only vacation times were my Monday nights watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette.

There were some days where all I wanted was to throw away my nursing shoes and go back to Oregon; however, there were days where all I wanted was to get a call at midnight to come in to the hospital and work all day and night.

I've been known to be a workaholic. I have been since I was a little girl, taking every babysitting job possible to avoid having any free time. It only makes sense that I fell right back into that lifestyle after I left Elliott.

Thinking back on my relationship with Elliott is so weird. I don't do it often, but there are days when it's all I think about. I lived with him for just over a month when we dated. He broke up with me after three months of being together. We were pretty much out of each other's lives for another three months, until we had those few months in the friendzone. I loved him with everything I had, and I don't regret leaving him.

I did not have any time for a boyfriend. I had work and school and that's just about it. It would not have been fair to keep Elliott in our on-and-off again, long-distance relationship for another five years while I tried to finish school. At first I hated myself for making that decision, but then it finally just settled in my heart that this is what he needed to be happy.

I don't hear much about Elliott these days, but last I heard he was doing great. He found a new job, no longer working for his dad. He took classes at the community college and got a degree in education. I was clearly shocked to hear he had chosen that path, but he is truly amazing with children, and I'm happy that he found something he actually wants to be doing.