Ch. 34 - Weird Thought Time With Elliott

Elliott's POV

"Is this right?"

"If you're trying to tie a Boy Scout knot," Flynn says.

I sigh and untie the bow. "I don't know how to do this." I throw the tie on the floor. "Why am I even one of the groomsmen? I barely know the guy."

"Come on," Flynn says, "it's not everyday you get to be part of a wedding party. Don't say you didn't enjoy that bachelor party last night."

I smile. "Yeah, that was fun."

"Exactly." He checks his phone for the time. "Okay, we should get over to the church soon."

"Someone has to tie my damn bow tie," I mutter and follow Flynn out of his house, grabbing the tie on the way out.

"I heard Ivy is invited," Flynn says.

I shake my head and let out a small laugh. "What? Did he invited our entire graduating class?"

"No, honey," Flynn patronizes, "let's remember that you weren't part of that graduating class because you didn't know your manzanas from your mañanas."

I roll my eyes and slide into the passenger's seat. "Don't act so cool, college boy. You're looking at a working class man."

"Who got his job from his dad," Flynn says and starts the engine of his car.

"Whatever, man."

"Whatever, man," Flynn mocks. "I bet it's really hard for Ivy to stay away from you with that attitude."

"Why are you being such a jerk?"

"I'm not being a jerk. I'm keeping it real."

"Why am I friends with a person who uses the phrase, keeping it real?" I ask out loud, looking out the window.

Flynn sighs. "Hey, look, I'm sorry, man. I just hear things from Nora and..."

"And I'm an asshole," I finish. "I know."

"You're not an asshole, buddy," Flynn says and places a hand on my shoulder. "You're just acting like an asshole."

I nod, biting my lip. "It's not like that would make a difference to Ivy. I was so wasted the last time I saw her." I rub under my eyes. "I barely even remember what happened."

"Want me to tell you? Nora acted it out for me," he says.

"No, it's better if I didn't know."

"Yeah, but if you did know, then you could apologize."

I shrug. "What's the point? She doesn't want to hear my apologies."

"Everyone lives to hear the person they're mad at say, 'I'm sorry.' And that's a fact."

He's right. But even if Ivy appreciated me apologizing, it wouldn't change anything. Dumping her in the way I did was the biggest mistake of my life. I could've gone about it in a different way. It still would've been just as painful though.

The look on her face still makes me feel sick, her sad eyes and worried eyebrows. Then she went and told me she loved me. She told me she loved me. And I couldn't do a damn thing about it.