Ch. 40 - Let's Crash a Prom

"Well, I'll miss listening to your FaceTime calls with your sister that you had for like five hours a day while I tried to study. Wait. Never mind. I won't miss that at all!"

I roll my eyes and lift my suitcase off the bed. "And I won't miss you stealing my phone and ending my FaceTime calls with my sister."

Britt shrugs. "Right. Uh, HAGS."

"HAGS?"

"You know, like, have a great summer. It was the basic thing to write in a yearbook when we were in primary school."

"Oh! Okay then. HAGS," I say.

She smiles and gives me a hug. It was nice living with Britt this semester. We really both kept to ourselves, except when she'd yell at me for talking on the phone too long. I'm not sure we'll room again next year, but I will miss her.

I meet my family outside of the dorm, where they sit in the minivan Vic rented. Putting the last of my things in the trunk, I climb in and sit next to Jett.

"You ready to head home, kiddo?" Uncle Vic asks.

I nod and buckle my seat. Home. I haven't been home since spring break. I really delved into my schoolwork. My classes were difficult, and I felt swamped most days. I'm in dire need of this summer break. Though with everything Jett and Nora plan for us to do, school might even be less work. Plus apparently Elm is a lot more to handle than originally planned now that he's big and jumps on people.

Tonight is Nora's prom. I am so excited to see her looking like a princess. I didn't get to go to my own prom last year, since I was busy babysitting that night. We're hoping to get back in time for her pictures. If traffic is on our side, we'll be able to do it.

"So, Jett, fill me in. What's the drama?"

Jett kicks one leg over his other and rests his hands behind his head with his elbows bent. "Where to begin..." He clears his throat. "Well, for starters, Jonas has a girlfriend."

"What?"

"Yeah. A real one this time. She breathes and everything!" he says excitedly.

I laugh. "What's she like?"

"Oh, she's cute. She reminds me of Rosie, but she has her Crystal side as well. Her name is Ivory."

I quirk an eyebrow. "Ivory?"

Jett hides his smile and nods his head. "Coincidentally."

"Okay, well, that makes me only slightly uncomfortable. What else is up in the world of Brookings, Oregon?"

"Addison and Mike broke up."

I gasp, holding a hand to my chest. "No! What? How? When? Oh my gosh. No!"

"But then they got back together a week later."

I shoot him a nasty glare. "If you know how I feel, why would you say that?"

He apologizes and continues to tell me about the eighth grade drama at his school. There are stories of lies and deceit, heartbreak and tears, romance and kisses in the hallway. I sadly get most of my entertainment from stories like these from Jett. There just hasn't been enough drama in my life since the last time I saw Elliott.