Chapter 3: A New Home

We were in the town hall. There wasn't a line, because no one really wanted to go in there. Caterpie had said "I'll go sign the papers!" and ran into an office. Weedle and I sat there in silence. We hardly knew each other, so there wasn't much to talk about.

"So why were you in the Ilex Forest?" Weedle finally asked me. "Well, I was just... going for a walk." I said, knowing he wouldn't believe my story. "Come on," he said back, "no one goes for a walk in the Ilex Forest. What were you doing?"

"It's just... I know you won't believe me..." I mumbled. "There are not many things I don't believe." Weedle said back. I sighed. "I was a human," I said, "but I woke up today as an Eevee. Do you believe that?"

Weedle looked very surprised. "You... ah, I can't say I fully believe that." he said, but something told me he did. He believes me. I thought. I sure hoped he did.

Caterpie came out of the office. "Phew..." he said, "You'd think they're making you take a huge exam in there!" Then his face brightened. "We got in, though! Team Pecha is in the exploration business!"

Little did I know, we wouldn't be an exploration team for long.

After we said good bye to Weedle, Caterpie told me to come along with him. We walked to the outskirts of the town and stopped at a house. "This is my house!" said Caterpie. "You can live here if you want."

It was an amazing house. It was so natural. The walls were made of large branches and the roof was made of green leaves. It made me so happy to know that Caterpie was sharing his house with me.

"Gee, I... thanks!" I said. "No problem." said Caterpie. "I have plenty of room!" We walked in the house to see an even more amazing sight.

The floor was made of stone. There was a small bird bath to the side of the room. (I didn't get why it was inside, though) There was a nice grass bed at the end. A wooden table laid in the middle of the room with two chairs at its side. I also could see a bunch of picture frames with pictures of Caterpie and his family.

"Pretty nice, isn't it?" said Caterpie behind me. "Y-yeah." I stuttered. I still couldn't believe Caterpie was letting me live here. "Hey, I'll go and get some food while you check the place out." said Caterpie. "Sounds good." I replied. "Kay, see ya!" said Caterpie as he left.

So I checked out the room. My smile faded just a little as I looked at my reflection in the bird bath. When I got to the picture frames, there were, well, pictures. There was one picture of Caterpie holding hands with two Butterfree, one male, one female. I could tell because one's wings were colored black.

When Caterpie got home, we ate our meal. It was Pecha Berries. I never knew it, but they were really good! They were sweet, like my sister. "If only Pecha could taste this..." I mumbled to myself, but Caterpie heard me, and asked, "Who's Pecha?" I sighed. "Pecha is my sister. She's still in Unova probably crying herself to sleep..." I said the last part to myself, but again, Caterpie heard me, and gave me a concerned look, but then smiled and said, "Alright, joke's over, remember?"

I gave up. I definately had to stop talking to myself. Caterpie had some pretty sharp ears.

That night, as I was going to sleep, I thought about home. I had left my sister, my mom, and my Lillipup, Brownie, alone at home, without me. I wished I could've at least said good bye to them. I just missed them so much. I started to cry. I might never see them again. I fell asleep with tears streaming down my face.

"I see it! It's here!" said a girl. "Hey, where'd it go?" asked a boy.

I woke up and winced at the bright sunlight. I opened my eyes and saw that I was not in my room. "Huh? Oh." I said, memories of yesterday flooding into my head. Caterpie wasn't here right now. I got up and looked at my reflection in the bird bath. I still saw an Eevee. I sighed. I'd have to get used to that face.

I walked outside and checked our mailbox. Hey, there was a letter. It was a practice job for their exploration team. Well, I guess our team would be starting off very soon.

Just then, I saw Caterpie inching his way over towards me. Weedle followed behind him. "Oh, hey there, Charlie! What'cha got there?" said Caterpie. Then he saw what it was. "Oooooh! Our first job! Lemme see!" he said, snatching it away from me. We all read the letter. It written in Pokemon language, but I somehow understood it. It read:

Greetings, Team Pecha. We understand that you have recently signed up to be an exploration team and we must give you a practice job. Your job is to go to the Slowpoke Well and retrieve a bag of apples. Good luck. -Town Hall

"Aww, just a retrieving mission." said Caterpie. I didn't think it was just a retrieving mission. Maybe I could find something on this trip. Something about what happened to me. "I'll be back, mom..." I mumbled quietly, but again, Caterpie heard me and said, "Okay, what's with that joke? You keep repeating it. You even make it sound like your just talking to yourself!" Weedle rolled his eyes. "Caterpie, you have super good hearing. You could hear a friggin' nail drop from twenty feet away."

Caterpie looked shocked. "I do?" he asked. "It is a joke, right Charlie? You were joking about having a family in Unova? Right!?" he shouted. A tear jerked at my eye. No! Do not cry now! I thought. Then it rolled down my face.

"It's... It's true, then?" asked Caterpie. "Ohh, I've been so mean!" Weedle stood there, quietly listening to the conversation. "It's not your fault, Caterpie. You didn't know..." I said. "Let's continue on that exploration team adventure..."

"No!" shouted Caterpie. "We are going to Unova! Besides, it will be even more exciting than exploring, because we'll go to many more places, and have a great time!" Weedle piped up. "Yeah, sounds good!" he said. "We can explore a lot more than!"

"Then we're going to Unova!" said Caterpie, and we got ready for the many dangers ahead.