Chapter 1 : The Suna Council

Aira P.O.V

Tojuro: Aira-dono! Welcome back! We heard you went to Kumogakure? I must say that Sunagakure missed it's ball of sunshine?

Aira: Ball of sunshine? Don't we have too much of sun in our dessert land? If I was a ball of sunshine, I wouldn't be too welcome.

Tojuro: Ahahaa...that's one way of looking at it. The other way would be...the council is too absorbed in management and is thus cold and desolate from inside, we are used to throwing our emotions away for the sake of our job. Aira-dono's presence, thus warms us up and shows us a new view of the world.

Aira: Meaning my ways are too unconventional?

Tojuro: Perhaps...but it is a breath of fresh air.

Hm? What's up with Tojuro? He's usually way too involved in politics to talk to me. He opposes my moves at every turn...well it might be because my methods are too peculiar but...why was he trying to get on my good side all of a sudden? Does he have an ulterior motive?

Aira: Surely you're exaggerating...

Sajo: Over these few years, our strength has stabilized and relations with other hidden villages have prospered well. We got a report from Kumogakure that they are signing a non-war treaty and our relation with the Land of Iron is as great as ever...

Maki: In particular, we have achieved good results in developing our recruits due to the new system incorporated with the aid from Konohagakure's academy instructors.

Sajo: The chuunin exams are almost here. I look forward to the results.

The others nodded their heads too. It was true. Sunagakure was performing well...as a management graduate in my world, I could see it myself. Ruling a ninja village was certainly easier than ruling a country.

But who would have thought that I would be the one to usher in the era of peace and prosperity for Sunagakure? I wouldn't even have considered becoming a politician in my own world. The Naruto world was changing me...for better or worse...

Yura: However at this time, with the chuunin exams upon us, there is a nasty rumor going around...

Maki: What is it, Yura?

Yura: Have you heard of the organization called the Akatsuki?

Did Gaara tell them as well about me being in contact with Sasori? He was being quite the tattletale about it. It would be bad if I catch the attention of the Akatsuki. He looked at me with a blank expression when he heard the word 'Akatsuki' but then went back to looking at Yura and Maki.

But the fact that Yura was talking about the Akatsuki...

I see...So they've finally begin to make their big moves. It's something I've been expecting to a certain degree anyway.

Yura: The Akatsuki is a mysterious organization composed of a dozen or so shinobi. The members of the organization are notorious S-rank criminals...all valued extremely high on the Bingo book. Of those identified are Uchiha Itachi - the one who annihilated his entire clan in a night , Hoshigaki Kisame - the ex-member of the seven swordmen of the mist village and then there is Orochimaru, the one who killed our previous Kazekage and attacked Konohagakure -

Aira: No...

Tojuro: No?

Aira: Orochimaru is an ex-member of the Akatsuki. Apparently Orochimaru, due to his obsession with the Sharingan, attacked Uchiha Itachi and was subsequently removed from their group. He is currently training Uchiha Sasuke in the hopes of attaining his Sharingan before he becomes too powerful like Itachi. Orochimaru is simply a lone wolf now. The way he is now...I can almost guarantee that he'll be killed either by the Akatsuki or the rogue ninja, Uchiha Sasuke.

Chiyo: What do you mean by 'the state he is in now'? Do you know something?

Aira: I do... On my way to Kiri...I mean Kumogakure, I ran into him...unintentionally of course. Apparently when he fought the third Hokage of Konoha, Sarutobi Hiruzen sealed his hands away. Orochimaru only has his snake summons for power besides...

Chiyo: Besides?

Aira: His medical ninja, Yakushi Kabuto cannot even hold a candle to Chiyo obaa-sama.

Tojuro: And how do you know all this?

Aira: I used to be a part of Konohagakure and was one of the participants in the chuunin exams. I met Kabuto during the exams and spied on him during the exams since his actions seemed suspicious to me. My opponent, Mizushima Kanata was apparently working for Kabuto. On top of all this relation, he tried to kill my sensei, Gekko Hayate. Plenty of reasons for me to investigate into him.

Tojuro: So basically...Orochimaru is not a threat to us?

Aira: No. I am quite sure of it.

Joseki: B-But why have they suddenly started taking such dramatic actions?

Gaara: Hm...it is pretty obvious that they are up to no good.

Tojuro: That is true...the rumors are quite troubling. None of their victims ever had anything in common other than the fact that...

Chiyo: They were all listed high in the Bingo book.

Aira: Exactly.

Yura: Aira-dono...do you know something about it?

Aira: Hm? No...nothing in factual evidence but I can conjure as to what their basic plan is.

Tojuro: And that is?

Aira: They have been working as a mercenary group ever since Hanzo of Amegakure attacked them. They were quite harmless before but...now they have been hunting Bingo book targets to gather bounties as a source of funds and like Gaara surmised...they are up to no good. They have something big planned...it must be huge considering the fact that they went through the trouble of amassing a huge fortune for it.

Maki: I see...I had heard of them but to think the organization in question is finally beginning to make it's move...

Yura: The source of this information is Jiraiya-sama, on of the legendary sannin. So prior to this meeting, I took the liberty of issuing an order to increase the security of our village. ANBU black masters(spies) have already been placed at key points. No matter how powerful the organization's forces may be, they will not be able to infiltrate by force.

Aira: Right...they will not be able to infiltrate by force.

Chiyo: Aira? Is there something wrong?

Aira: Oh...nothing at all. Since we have already discussed the topic at hand, let us adjourn the meet and go back to our duties. Like Jiraiya-sama said...the Akatsuki is a threat to us. It is only proper that we maintain constant vigilance so that we may not crumble from within.

Yura, Chiyo obaa-sama and Gaara had a confused expression but the others left.

Yura's discussion reminded me that it was time. The start of the Kazekage rescue mission arc was upon me.

The stage was set.

And now...

It was my time to shine.