Chapter 30 : Pain and Preseverance

Gaara P.O.V

"...and then we shall meet back at-"

Halfway through her explanation, Aira froze...only to turn and Sakura one of the deadliest glares she could muster.

Aira: Can't you stop doing that?

Sakura flinched but didn't release the hand she had on Aira's arm. Whenever anyone tried to touch her arm, she got so furious that she'd resemble 'Shukaku on a full moon night'.

Sakura: But there must be some way to heal your arm...Naruto's arm was just as bad after his fight with Pain.

And then, all of hell broke loose.

Aira: Uzumaki Naruto...Are you telling me that you fought  Pain! Now how does it happen that I have no idea as to when such an insignificant  development took place.

Naruto: Why of course it happened after we came to help Gaara and Suna. They said they wanted protection against Kabuto...And since we have fought him before, Tsunade obaa-san asked us to help.

I'd never seen Aira look so stumped before.

Aira: Fought Kabuto? You guys fought Orochimaru and Sasuke right? Do you even think that counts as fighting Kabuto?

(A/N : Naruto and Sakura vs Orochimaru and Sasuke refers to the first fight that happens in the Shippudden series - when Naruto and Sakura find out Orochimaru's hideout but Sasuke escapes with Orochimaru)

Sakura: D-Don't try to change the topic. We were discussing your arm.

Aira: And? And what makes you think that I wish to talk about my arm? I successfully destroyed every single cell in right hand. Chiyo obaa-sama even suggested amputation for it. For now, she has made sure that my arm doesn't rot away. I am quite used to using my non-dominant hand...and I think that's enough for now.

Sakura: But if we can heal your arm then-

Aira: And you think you can? You think you can succeed where Chiyo obaa-sama and Tsunade-hime failed?

Sakura turned towards Aira. Her determination was obvious to anyone who saw her. Aira rarely got seriously angry...but her wrath was truly a force to recon with. Sakura must be hell bent on curing Aira. 

Sakura: I will heal your arm. You are helping Naruto. Thanks to you, we got to meet Sasuke-kun again. I will return the favour...I will definitely heal that arm of yours!

Aira: Tsk...Do as you please...but remember not to prod at it while I am in the midst of talking. Else I'll stick a kunai through you...just so that you get an idea of what it feels like to be interrupted so rudely.

Sakura gave a close eyed of satisfaction. Saaya vowed to help Sakura in her quest. And personally I'd do whatever it takes to heal her arm.After all, that arm is proof that I wasn't around to save her when she needed help. I thought the storm had passed but the worse was yet to come. 40% of Aira's anger was due to Sakura's healing attempt and the other was...

Aira: By the way, Gaara...How come I didn't know about Naruto fighting Sasuke? Could it be...you tried to hide information from me?

Her sickly sweet voice was laced with absolute rage. It made me realise that Nara Shikamaru was right when he said that a woman's anger was truly a force to be reckoned with.

* * * * *

"Halt! Who goes there?"

Aira: Um...I am Aira, and I wish to seek audience with Mei-chan.

M-Mei...chan?

We are thinking about the same person aren't we? Mei as in Terumi Mei, the fifth Mizukage of Kirigakure!

"And your papers?"

Aira: Here you go. I'd appreciate it if you were a bit less conspicuous about-

"T-The Kazekage is here! What should we tell Ao-"

Upon Aira's request Sai used his jutsu to clamp the guard's mouth shut. But a lot of people had begun to gather around us. The commotion was noisy enough to bring down a very important person.

Ao decided to guide us to the Mizukage's mansion...and he was definitely more successful in being inconspicuous. In a short while, we managed to get an audience with the Mizukage.

Mei-san seemed to be expecting our presence but...from the state of things, her people didn't know that we were dropping by.

Neji waited until Ao went to have a personal conversation with Mei. He turned towards Aira, anger evident in his eyes.

Neji: Ryuugamine Aira, who is this Ao person?

Aira: An ANBU of Kirigakure. He is in the hunter-nin squad.

Neji: Not that! Why does he have a-

Aira: Oh right...Ao-san has a Byakugan. If my memory serves me right, it is his 'spoils of war'. He got it during the third great shinobi war when he defeated Hyuga Nakano in direct combat.

If Aira knew that Neji would get angry, why did she bring him along on this mission? It wouldn't​ do us any good to get on Kirigakure's wrong side!

Aira: I don't trust the hunter-nin's intention to co-orporate with us in this mission... It won't be funny if they end up killing the person I am working so hard to recruit.

Saaya: And so you wish to have Neji-san counter Ao-san's Byakugan?

Aira: Well...that is one reason. The other is-

"So this is Ryuugamine Aira?"

Aira: Ara! You look just as beautiful as I thought, Mei-san!

Ao: Flattery won't get you anywhere-

Before Ao could speak one more word, Mei gave him a death glare.

Mei: Speak one more word and I'll kill you.

Aira gave a wry laugh as Ao-san's face turned pale with fear.

Gaara:A-Aira, what just happened?

Aira: Ah...Mei-san is a bit unique when it comes to these things. She tends to mis-comprehend a lot of things. I think she misunderstood Ao-san's statement. Perhaps he thought 'flattery' meant he was directly indicating that I was exaggerating when I called Mei-san beautiful.