Chapter 31 : Treaty and Treachery

Aira P.O.V

"It is necessary for me to be dressed this way?"

Aira: Of course it is.

I could barely keep myself from laughing...but if I succumbed to my temptations, Gaara would refuse to go along with the plan.

While I struggled to maintain a straight face, Gaara tried his very best not rip the outfit to shreds.

Saaya: Aira-sama, the escorts are here. When shall we...Aw, so cute!

I could see it in her eyes. If it weren't for the fact that Itachi was her type, I would have to worry about her stealing Gaara from me. However, when I eyed the black wig that was placed on the table, I couldn't help but frown in irritation.

Gaara: Aira, is something wrong?

Aira: N-Nothing at all! I was just wondering how to kill the guys who try to make a pass at you.

Gaara: If anything, they are going to run away, in the opposite direction. A boy disguised as a girl is pretty disgusting.

Aira: You could never be disgusting. You will...always be someone I love and admire.

I wrapped my arms around his shoulder. He felt really warm...and I didn't want to let go. The fact that he was here - alive and happy in my arms...was too good to lose.

Should I have left him back in Suna?

Gaara: Aira, you are making that face again.

Worry clouded his face and I looked down to find that I was holding on to him too tightly. I managed a fake smile...but he saw right through it.

His teal coloured eyes were so beautiful. Like a glass ball...

They looked like they could shatter so easily...

Gaara: AIRA!

To my utter horror, my hands had been wrapped around his neck, there was sand spilling out of his guard - waiting to protect him if...

I posed further threat.

Ignoring the look of shock on Gaara's face, I handed him the wig, carefully without touching him.

Aira: Saaya said that the people have come to collect us. Let us not make them wait any longer.

Gaara: B-But Aira-

Aira: Or could it be that you are worried about being accompanied by me?

Gaara: Of course I...don't...

His voice was shaking slightly. I knew why. The last time someone tried to kill him was - Yashamaru, his uncle. I looked at the slight finger marks that had formed on his neck.

Did I really...try to kill him?

Aira: Don't worry... I'll try my best not to hurt you at all.

The only reason I brought him with me for the mission was because I thought it would be safer for him to be beside me. But if I am a greater threat that anything else, then...

Wordlessly, Gaara and I walked out and headed towards the Mizukage office. I kept my distance from Gaara...and it didn't seem like he had recovered from the shock I gave him.

But the question lingered in my mind...why did I try to kill him?

The person I was willing to give everything away for?

* * * * *

Mei: And? Why should we agree to this contract? I have no intentions of letting village secrets get out.

Aira: By village secrets do you mean, Utakata-san? The jinchuriki of the six-tails? In that case, please rest easy. I am not here to collect tailed beasts. My purpose is to-

Ao: There is no point lying. I can see your chakra.

I see. Looks like Neji was right. When I asked him if he could sense the tailed beasts chakra, he said he could - including Isobu's.

Aira: That was to protect their lives.

Ao: And how did you use it to protect their lives? No jinchuriki survives having a tailed beast extracted from them. How could these people-

Aira: It is fine for you guys to want to know my secrets...but is not fine to provide yours in return?

Ao glared at me, but retreated upon Mei's instruction.

Aira: What I am truly looking for...Is the pathway to Amegakure.

Mei: Amegakure? The village hidden in the rains? I heard they have been torn asunder by a civil war?

Aira: And yet, they are still in a position to maintain their power as a ninja village. Mei-san, have you heard of the Akatsuki?

Mei: Only rumours that they were initially after bounty and now, are after tailed beasts.

Aira: That actually sums things up perfectly. They are a group of mercenary who are gathering way too much money and power. I'd say they are currently richer than the Water Daimyo.

Ao: W-What!

Aira: And so, I want to find a way to Amegakure...because I believe that is where the Akatsuki's hideout is!

Mei: And? You are not asking for money or power from us. So what do you want? We don't know the way to Amegakure.

Aira: Just one thing...protect Utakata-san.

Without Isobu on my side, I was unsure if I could use the 'Kami no kokan'(The divine exchange) jutsu properly...Which means Utakata might end up dying.

And...There is one more thing I wanted to warn her about...

Aira: This is personally just an outsider's advise...but lady Mei, you would do good to filter through your shinobi.

Since quite a few of them still seem to be working with the previous Mizukage, Yagura's idealogies.

Aira: We wouldn't want the village's bad reputation, plummet lower.

Ao: How dare you! We will kill-

Mei: Aira, is that a friendly advise from a soon-to-be friend of mine?

The statement took me by surprise but I smiled back to her. I see...she was desperately trying to change this village...so she understood what I meant.

Aira: Indeed it is. A word of friendly advise to a soon-to-be​ precious friend.

After we walked out of the office, we went back to our designated rooms, to pack for our trip.

Sakura: it was really clever of you to notice that our tea was poisoned.

It was a good thing that I asked Sakura to poison test the tea. As a medical min, she could test, without having to drink it.

There was no doubt why they were after our lives. The hunter nin of Kirigakure...they are still living in the shadows of the old 'bloody mist Village'. Unlike Mei, they believed in Yagura's idealogies (Madara's interference).

On our way back, I decided to get a different room for myself. Gaara tried to protest, but eventually agreed after I insisted on it.

Later that night, what I had feared the most happened.

A reincarnated, young Madara stood at my window, a smirk decorating his proud face. Just as I thought.

Aira: To what do I owe the displeasure of this meeting?

Madara: You realized?

Aira: Of course I did. But to think Zetsu could control the body of it's host... Anyway, what is it that you seek?

Madara: Nothing much, I just thought that things were getting stale. So I decided to make it much more lively.

Aira: And how do you intend to do so?

Madara: You told him before, didn't you? Pain. I wish to hear what alternative you have to suggest for him.(ref : chapter 24 - Pain)