Chapter 7 : Misunderstandings...

Aira P.O.V

"Aira...how could you... How could you betray me like this?"

N-No! Gaara...I didn't betray you! I did it for-

"Gaara is like a grandson and I trusted you with him...but how could you be such a coward and run away?"

No Chiyo obaa-sama...I didn't-

"And here I thought we were like sisters. I trusted you with my brother. How could you do this to us, Aira?"

Please...Temari...I didn't do it purposefully! It was for Gaara-

"What Gaara needs is a strategist to save his village. How could you let your personal feelings and ambitions get in the way of your work? How could you betray Sunagakure? We took you in after Konoha threw you out!"

Kankuro...why? I didn't betray the village! I didn't betray you guys...I didn't betray Gaara! I just-

Tears stained my vision as I saw the sand siblings and CHiyo obaa-sama walk away from me and into pitch black darkness. I reached out my hands to stop them but they disappeared into the darkness.

"Aira. Perhaps I should simply kill you and get things over with you are just going to sleep instead of doing your paper work."

Wait...paperwork?

Besides, I knew that voice. Cold and seemingly cruel. My unofficial bodyguard, Uchiha Itachi.

Aira: Itachi-kun?

Itachi: Don't fall asleep at your desk.

He gave me a cold shoulder and went on with his work but I couldn't help the smile that framed my face. It was a good thing that Itachi woke me up from that nightmare. I never thought I was so weak that I'd have nightmares about it.

Itachi: If it bothers you that much, you should never have left that village.

Aira: No...I don't regret leaving the village...I just...regret not being able to be beside them...but Ryuugamine Aira, the strategist of Sunagakure is no longer needed. They can get by without me. I-

I gave a pout when Itachi flicked my forehead. What on earth is this guy up to?

Itachi: If you realize you are unwanted there, then work where it is required.

Is that his way of saying...realize where you are needed?  What was Itachi doing? It all seemed so OOC that I couldn't help but give a small laugh.

Itachi: If you are finally awake, handle all those papers.

Aira: Sure onii-sama. I'll do so-

That relaxed atmosphere was gone in an instant. Gosh...how idiotic am I? Count on me to reduce whatever trust we had built up. I forget siblinghood was an extremely touchy topic with Itachi. I flinched slightly when I noticed that he had subconsciously activated his Mangekyo Sharingan.

Aira: Apologies. That joke was in poor taste. Pay it no mind. Please prepare for a 10 day journey. I wish to leave for hoshigakure to recruit the first member of Kuroko, Uzumaki Saaya.

Before Itachi could reply, I immersed myself in the paperwork. I was looking down but tears blinded me and I couldn't make out the letters. I took a deep breath and calmed down.

The world was depending on me. What was I playing at, trying to make bonds after I threw away existing ones?

Itachi: I see. The preparations should be done in 3 hours.

Aira: Thank you, Uchiha-san. 

Itachi stiffly walked out of the room and I sighed before returning to the aforementioned paperwork. On my lap was a letter from Oda Nobunaga. He was one of the very few people who knew that I was alive. To the Akatsuki, Sunagakure and the world, I was killed by Itachi. In fact Itachi made a clone very identical to me and turned it over at the bounty collection center and gave the earnings to the Akatsuki. Sunagakure heard of this and officially declared me dead.  

In the letter, Oda Nobunaga stated how the land of Iron wanted to withdraw their support to Sunagakure since I was no longer there. I could easily look over Sunagakure but that wouldn't help Gaara in the least. I decided to wait and see what Gaara does and...in the worst case scenario, I'll send a letter to Nobunaga asking him to assist Gaara in securing Gaara a long lasting alliance with the Land of Iron.

Apart from managing the information I received from the information network I had made during my stay in Suna, I tried to linked all the missions done by the Akatsuki since Nagato took charge of it. Itachi didn't help me but...he didn't stop me either.

.

.

.

Aira: ...and so I'd like to ask you to join the Kuroko.

"Why the hell would I-"

Uzumaki Saaya suddenly stopped speaking half way. I turned to see what she was looking at and...wasn't really surprised to find her gawking at Itachi. Guess all Uchihas are women magnets.

Saaya: Who is that guy? He so cool and mysterious...totally my type?

I smirked slightly. Itachi was a little far away so he wouldn't know but...part of her reason for joining Kuroko was so that she could get close to him. I could see that Saaya was a HUGE fangirl but she was cheerful and bubbly. She would brighten the atmosphere considerably.

Saaya: I am fine joining Kuroko as long as I get to choose what I do without a long term commitment but...I want to know what my employer looks like before I join.

Aira: Is that so? That is perfectly all right. It's not like I have a reason to keep my appearance hidden.

I removed my mask. There was no particular reason to keep my face hidden...it's just that I felt more 'mysterious' when I wore it. Saaya looked at me for a moment and then her jaw dropped to the ground.

Saaya: W-W-What!

Aira: Hm? Is there something wrong?

She touched my hand as if confirming that I really was a human. Her jaws were still wide open and I let out a small chuckle. What on earth was this girl doing?

Saaya: You're so...pretty! I definitely thought you were a doll first! So what did you say your name was?

Aira: Aira...Harune Aira.

Saaya: I see...well then Aira-san, yoroshiku onegaishimasu. (translation : Please take care of me or I'm counting on you).

Aira: Welcome aboard Kuroko. As long as you do what is asked, you'll find that Kuroko a place you'll never regret or get bored in.

Saaya: I see. I'm expecting a lot then!

On the way to the Kuroko 'hideout', an extremely uncomfortable silence stretched on as neither I nor Itachi spoke to each other. We also made sure to carefully avoid each other's gaze. Saaya looked at both of us in confusion.

Once we reached the hideout, Itachi changed into his Akatsuki robe.

Itachi: Since my work here is done, I am going back to the Akatsuki hideout.

Aira: Sure. It's not like I can't protect myself. Thank you for your assistance.

Saaya: What's going on?

Aira: Nothing at all. Since someone wanted our exchanges to be civil, I am answering to their expectation.

Saaya sighed as I swept my hair over my shoulder and walked away.

Stupid of me to try and reduce the distance. That's it...unlike Naruto, I don't use 'protagonist-no-jutsu' so I'll can't afford to play 'friends' with those around me. I'll save the people of this world...

Irrespective of if they desire it or not.

I won't let anyone get close to me. Only those who are strong can afford to be kind. Since I am obviously not strong and need to rely on strategies and tricks to win, it's better I don't go around wasting time being amiable.

I am going to leave this world anyway...it's better I don't form any relations outside my work as the strategist of Kuroko...