Chapter 27 : Recovery and Realisation

Aira P.O.V

I groaned as a new wave of pain flood through my head. I had no idea how long I had been in this state...nor how much longer I would have to be.

The last thing I had seen before I lost consciousness, was Gaara catching me before I hit the ground.

I wanted to see if we had all made it back safe and sound...but a part of me hesitated. I didn't like the strain that the light puts on my eye after -

"A-Aira! You're awake!"

Aira: C-Chiyo obaa-sama...y-you're crushing me!

She quickly let me go. I felt a pang of guilt when I saw her smile in relief. I really must have worried her. To think Chiyo obaa-sama, who is usually so reserved when it comes to showing affection, would openly hug me...

Chiyo: There are a million things I want to ask you...

I gulped as she glared at me. No doubt she wanted to know how I managed to damage my hand to such an extent.

Chiyo: But that can wait until Gaara has had a look at you. I swear his dark circles have worsened in the past one week.

A week?

I-It couldn't be that I was knocked out for an entire week!

Aira: T-That is bad! I need to talk to Itachi-san and find out the developments on the Akatsuki-

"You will find out if you manage to get past my sand barrier - and mind you, your jutsus are not strong enough to do so."

Aira: Gaara!

He sounded angry but...I saw what Chiyo obaa-sama meant. Gaara's dark circles had certainly worsened.

Gaara: ...to think you'd do something do reckless...Aira, is there something on my face?

I could hardly focus on what Gaara was saying...

Aira: Um...nothing in particular. Just that you look more like a panda like usual.

.

.

.

Gaara: S-Say aah...

Aira: Hey! You're the one trying to feed me! Why are you turning red?

It was as if these people had totally forgotten that my left arm is still in working order.

Gaara insisted on supporting me when I took a walk - something I didn't complain about since my legs were still too weak to support my weight...but to think he'd insist on doing everything for me...

'Just let it run it's course. Gaara was plenty upset that he couldn't protect you...once again.'

And so here we we are, sitting in a dango store - with Gaara trying to feed me.

Aira: But Gaara, aren't you busy as the Kazekage? Even the Suna council won't let me-

Gaara: I took a few days off - your safety was a higher priority. And of course the council wouldn't let you help them. I told them about your situation. I have no intentions of letting you work before you heal...

He trailed off as he considered my hand.

Gaara: I-Is it true?

Aira: About what?

Gaara: The fact that it's completely damaged beyond repair? Saaya said that damage was comparable to the ' Dead Demon Consuming Seal'.

(A/N: The move that Hiruzen used on Orochimaru's arms)

Well ever since I used that 'sound sphere' move on Kakuzu, I suffered from sleepless nights. The pain in the arm was too excruciating to even think about anything else...so I suppose my ruptured arm can be compared to that curse.

The havoc an incomplete jutsu can cause...is frightening. Guess these kind of moves should not be used without proper training...even Naruto with his 'protagonist-no-jutsu' had to work really hard to master the rasengan.

Which means, using sound sphere (a sound wave counterpart of rasengan) without training was a foolish move indeed...and now, I was paying the price for my recklessness.

Aira: I suppose it is true. It's funny really... I made use of Orochimaru's situation to prevent him from making any unfavourable moves against me...and now, here I am, stuck in the same position.

Gaara: Then why don't you consume the pills that you send him? Won't it help with the pain?

Aira: Worried that we'll end up looking like a panda couple if we both have dark circles?

The look on his face stated clearly that my little 'joke' went unappreciated.

Aira: Don't worry...I can still manage.

I can't tell him that I haven't felt that pain at all ever since a few of white zetsu's cells invaded my arm.

Especially since I had a very bad feeling about it.

The only reason Madara asked white Zetsu to make up for Obito's crushed body was because the latter would serve as his pawn.

It wasn't a very pleasant idea... getting Madara's help. After all, it means that he has some use for you.

Gaara: Aira? Are you alright?

Aira: A-Ah? Yes...I suppose you could say I am.

As alright as I could be when I am stuck between two sides.

"Aira-sama...It really is you!"

Before I could do anything at all, I was tackled to the ground.

Aira: Gyahu!

To my left, Gaara let out a small smile - pointing out that I had let out the exact same weird sound when Kana had tackled me in the past.

It was a pleasant surprise, one that made me feel that not much has changed during the time I was absent...well apart from the fact that the village was doing quite well.

Kana: Did you know Aira-sama...I am a genin now! Hyosuke-sensei said I could become a chuunin and fight along with you if I cleared the chuunin exams!

I see. So Hyosuke was in-charge of Kana. Considering that they are both socially awkward, they were quite well suited.

And so, I spent a relaxed day as Gaara and Kana lead me around the village, showing me all the changes that had taken place.

The villagers greeted us everywhere we went. I had hardly interacted with them in the past, my time spent between the Suna council and research, but it seems they all care about me...just as much as I care about the village.

Gaara: Aira! Are you hurt? Why are you crying?

Way to go Gaara...as your girlfriend, I'll have to teach you that asking why someone is crying is the surest way to make them cry even more.

But right now, these tears weren't because of sadness...it was because I had found a place where I was wanted...Where I was loved.

Aira: No. Don't worry...I-I am just so happy...

And it was then that realisation struck me. The one thing that had changed about Suna since my absence.

Kabuto's strategist...knew what to expect from me...and there is only one person who knew that much about me.

One person who knew of my skills.

One person who could have set Gaara against me by leaking information about my contact with Sasori.

The one person (other than Mizuriha Kana) who called me Aira-sama like Kabuto...

Aira: That's it!

Gaara: Aira?

Aira: Kabuto's strategist...Kakeru...It has to be Atsushi Kakeru!