Chapter 26 : White tricks

Aira P.O.V

"Aira-san! At this rate they'll get physically tired!"

I bit my lip as I looked at the situation in front of us.

Fighting Black Zetsu reminded me of my battle with Kakuzu. Both of them use multiple release jutsus and they are both immortal. What wouldn't I give for Itachi to use his Amaterasu now.

White Zetsu was capable of cloning himself and disguising into others. Even if we knew that it was cloning in disguise, it was hard on us. When it turned into Gaara, I found it hard to attack him and vice-versa. Against Hayate-sensei's it turned into Yugao. In Akira's case it turned into Mizuriha Kana. But the most surprising part was Hyosuke Raijin's.

In his case, Zetsu turned into Matsuri.

Aira: Raijin...You fell in love with Gaara's student?

Did Matsuri fall in love with Gaara's because he was her teacher and...a badass? Because in that case, it was obvious why Matsuri fell for Hyosuke and not Gaara. Hyosuke Raijin was a thoroughbred Yakuza type.

Raijin: I-It's not my fault! She is one of the very few Suna girls who doesn't want to kill you for being Gaara's fiance.

Oh.

Looks like Gaara's life has done a complete 360 since I left Suna. But then...his popularity was unavoidable. He had good looks and a very pleasing personality.

Aira: W-Wait...Fiance?

Gaara: You decided to run away but I never considered our engagement void. Afterall... aren't you the one who stated that you have my dad's permission?

Saaya: Sorry to interrupt but... Hayate-san doesn't look too well.

Saaya was right. Hayate-sensei was coughing even more than usual. His disease must have worsened over time. I looked at my right hand in dismay. If only I could use it...

Aira: Saaya, connect a chakra chain to me as well. I'll step into the fight as well.

Hayate: I-I can manage!

Aira: No doubt you can. I just wish to reduce all chances of causality. I will not let a single person in our team get hurt!

I took the sword in my left hand. I did have basic level training in using my other hand( Hayate-sensei trained us to be able to manage if our dominant got hurt). Hayate-sensei looked surprised for a moment, but he decided not to speak about it now.

Aira: Akira! Cover for Gaara! Raijn,keep an eye out for genjutsu and cover Saaya. I'll cover Hayate-sensei!

Akira: Got it! Water style : water slicer!

It may have been a few years since we last fought together but despite the blank, our teamwork was as impeccable as ever. Once a member of Team Hayate, always a member of Team Hayate!

Black Zetsu : Your teamwork won't save you!

Aira: I wouldn't be so certain of that if I were you! Electric skin jutsu!

The moment black Zetsu used his water style jutsu, I gave him a shock. Before he(it) could strike back, Gaara covered me with a sand barrier. Akira and Gaara combined their jutsus to unleash a mud release jutsu. The clone disintegrated...turns out it was white Zetsu disguised as Black Zetsu.

But to think that Akira and Gaara could combine jutsus. If I remember right, I've only seen Naruto and Sasuke do that in the anime. They were able to do it because of their strong bonds.

Aira: I didn't know you guys were that close?

Akira: Do you know the chuunins and jonins that Tsunade-sama sent to Suna?

Aira: She sent team Hayate!

Hayate: It was a pleasure working in the newly developed Sunagakure. It had definitely changed a lot since I last visited it. That's why...Aira, you don't have to worry about lacking in combination jutsus.

Aira: I see. T-That is reassuring.

I tried to smile but all I could only manage a grimace. That electric skin jutsu only made my right hand worse. None of the others noticed but Saaya was undeceived.

Saaya: Aira-san, you seemed to be hiding it so I decided not to reveal it but-

Aira: No. Don't say it out.

Saaya: B-But...

Aira: Anything that Zetsu finds out about us will be reported back to Madara.

Saaya: Then let me cover for you!

Aira: No. If you fall, the entire formation will fail. The only way to win a war is to listen to your strategist. Didn't you promise upon joining Kuroko that you'll follow me no matter what?

Saaya: I-I see...

I hated guilt tripping her. I knew she was simply worried about me. Saaya had a rotten life after the  destruction of Uzushiogakure. She had lived her life wandering from one place to another, disguising her red hair and hiding out of sight. Being an Uzumaki was not safe.

But that changed after she joined Kuroko. She did join my group because of her crush on Itachi but...I could see that she loved this place. She openly flaunted her red hair(turns out she loves her hair...because Itachi said it suits her) and she enjoys life like a typical chuunin ninja - training and making dangos for us.

I love her as well. I love Kuroko and I love all of my allies. 

That is why I must fight irrespective of how much it hurts.

The battle dragged on and I wasn't very pleased with it. At this rate we would just tire out. We were coping with Zetsu's attacks but Zetsu was immortal, possessed unlimited chakra and was a plant. We were human...

I held the teleportation tag in my hand. We wouldn't be able to teleport too far away from here but if we could just get away and go around them-

Aira: Gaara...watch out!

Everything happened in slow motion. White Zetsu was about to slash Gaara and I blocked his attack and realized a bit too late that this was Zetsu's plan from the very beginning. His attack slashed at my right hand and dispelled the genjutsu I had cast over my hand. Everyone gasped as they saw the true state of my arm. It was nauseating to look at - dark grey in color and damaged beyond repair.

Gaara: Aira! W-What happened-

While they were preoccupied with my arm, Zetsu disappeared into the nearby tree. Something wasn't right...them leaving meant that they have managed to complete their objective. Surely it wasn't just to give-away my injury to my teammates...

But then I noticed it. 

Small white spots that quickly sunk into my arm and disappeared from view.

Saaya rushed towards me. Gaara and the others looked horrified...but that was the last thing I saw because...at that moment, I blackened out.