Chapter 34 : The last piece of the puzzle

Aira P.O.V

"Was that really alright?"

I gazed quietly at the retreating figure. Gaara was heading back to his room, his head hung low - either deep in thought or in depression.

Aira: Of course. I intentionally spoke out loud so that he would hear us. That was the easiest and the most efficient way of conveying the information to him. I'm sure he'll find it easier if he knew that I didn't intentionally try to kill him.

Itachi: But it might make him reckless...

I couldn't help the smile that spread on my face. For a moment, it didn't matter what kind of risk Gaara might undertake. Him trying his best for my sake...was something that warmed me up from the core.

Of course the feeling didn't last very long.

It wouldn't matter how much Gaara loved me if he was no longer in the land of the living.

Aira: I wouldn't let anyone harm him...no one...not even Madara! If anyone did manage to get past me and hurt him... I'll make sure they repent it for the rest of their godforsaken lives.

Itachi's face looked as impassive as ever...but if he did question my sanity, he didn't voice it.

I'm sure Itachi was the same when it came to Sasuke.

Itachi : I see.

And so we sat in silence...both of us, too deeply lost in thought to feel the need to converse.

But that silence was soon broken with the appearance of a young girl.

"Aira-sama...so you really didn't go to sleep yet..."

I smiled at her. Kana was holding onto a blanket, sleep very evident in her eyes. Perhaps she wanted someone to sleep with her.

"Indeed. If it is company you seek, shall I tell you a little bedtime story?"

Kana: I'd love that!

.

.

.

Aira : ...and that is how the prince got past the garden of thorns and saved the princess.

Kana: Um...Aira-sama, you didn't write this story right?

Aira: Hm? Why would you say that? Because it actually is a bit romantic and sweet?

Kana: Well...that is true...but if it was a story written by Aira-sama, then the prince would simply dig his way under the garden instead of finding a perfect spell to dispel the thorns.

That actually cracked me up quite a bit. A dirty prince might be extremely unappealing but I suppose that is the course of action I would choose if Gaara was the damsel in distress.

Aira: You really trust my ability as a strategist, don't you?

Kana: Of course I do! Aira-sama will definitely give me my happy ending.

It was that innocent smiling face that made me feel a pang of guilt. It reminded me of the fact that I was putting the life of a young girl at risk just because she would make a wonderful bargaining chip against the person I was trying to recruit.

Aira: Is it really alright even if I am doing it...for my own benefit?

Kana: Of course! This is the win-win situation that Aira-sama talks about right?

Aira: I suppose so. Kana, it's about time you go to sleep. You'll need all the energy you can, for this mission!

Kana: Okay!

I turned off the light and was about to close the door when I heard her mumble a little.

"...thank you for taking up the mission for my sake, Aira-sama..."

I left the room quietly and went back to sitting in the balcony. I was too preoccupied to actually go to sleep.

Mizuriha Kana.

Her water release, her prowess in bukijutsu, the slightly psychotic personality...it actually surprised me that no one else had noticed it.

There was no doubt that she belonged in Kirigakure. In fact she didn't just belong here, she was related to the Hozuki clan. A clan that had faced a fate similar to that of the Uchiha - destroyed because it was deemed too powerful.

I couldn't trace back as to how Kana ended up in Sunagakure in the first place...but there was no doubt that she was almost destined to be one of the seven swordmen of the mist.

It was in her genes.

It wouldn't go unnoticed by the person I was trying to recruit...since he was a former member of the seven swordmen.

But was it alright to put Kana through all this? There was no doubt that the 'seven swordsmen of the bloody mist village' had a really bad reputation. It was the reason why the Hozuki clan was annihilated...

Announcing her true identity would put at her risk with Kirigakure. Ao-san would doubtlessly want to kill her before she turns against them, like Suigetsu and Kisame did...

Oh well, if things go as planned, she might be able to meet her family so it might not be such a bad idea to have her along...but it was a scary thought to put her life at risk.

Gaara.

Madara.

Kana.

Mei.

Neji.

Ao.

Suigetsu...

All these people were pawns on my chessboard.

And I was playing god by toying around with their lives.

It is times like these that make me realise that 'the easiest way to play god is to become the devil.'