Chapter 22 : Team Hayate Reunion

Aira P.O.V

Gaara: Aira! Let's-

Whoosh!

One would think I'd disappeared in thin air. From behind the safety of a wall, I'd peer at Gaara. It was funny really. First I was desperately running for his affections and now...I ran at the sight of him.

"Aira...are you still going at it?"

Aira: W-What ever do you mean? I-I'm...

Akira: Give the poor guy a break. He searched for you all this time even when we thought you were dead.

Aira: I know but...

"Aira! Here you are!"

This time, before I could run away, Raijin maintained a firm grip on me. Tsk...he had definitely grown stronger in these few years. Back when he was a teammate of mine, his strength was pretty good but the fact that he was a 17 year old 'almost an adult' was pretty obvious. 

Aira: Ahahaa...Gaara...

Oh. Such a wonderful situation. I was cornered by my ex-teammates and...the boy who kissed me. Gaara seemed pretty relieved to have finally caught me but my mind was like a racing engine sprouting a million thoughts a minute...only to blank out completely whenever I came face-to-face with him.

Akira: And there you have it, Kazekage-sama. We'll leave our comrade in your hands.

Raijin: So soon? I wanted to play with Aira a little longer! That look of desperation when she-

Raijin stopped himself when Gaara delicately raised an eyebrow at him. God...I never knew Gaara could do that. Seems like even the 'cherry' Gaara had grown up during the time we were apart. I was just about to get used to Gaara's presence when he dragged me off to his guestroom.

Aira: Um, considering that this is the guestroom of Kuroko's hideout, I already know what this place looks like. Any particular reason why you brought me here?

Bad girl! Don't pretend not to know the reason when you are already jittery about the fact that Gaara brought you to his room!

Gaara: Obviously. I just have a few questions.

Aira: As...a kazekage?

Gaara: No. As your boyfriend.

If that wasn't a K.O shot out of nowhere, then I don't know what is. In fact, I nearly fell out of  the chair when Gaara 'oh-so-casually' called himself my boyfriend like he was talking about the weather. Well we..rather he...kissed me...but still!

Aira: G-Gaara, about that...isn't your order messed up?

Gaara: Which order? 

Aira: Um...you did confess but why did you k-kiss me before I accepted your confession?

Gaara: Ah. My mistake. Temari might have mentioned something along those lines...

I take it back. Gaara is still the same 'cherry' he was back then! For the next 40 minutes, I lectured(stuttered tsundere style) about how he is supposed 'ask me out' and get my permission despite the fact that I'd faint if he did that.

And faint I did when Gaara formally asked me out.

Aira: I-If that is all what you needed me for, then perhaps I should get going-

Gaara: One more thing.

At the drop of a hat, the atmosphere grew tense as Gaara ran a finger along the bandages that covered my neck. I shivered at the memory of it. The feeling when I realized that I'd almost been strangled to death...

Gaara: ...Aira...in the cave...hey, are you listening to me?

Aira: H-Huh? What?

Gaara: How did you end up in the Akatsuki hideout? How did you sustain those injuries? What was the disease that Madara mentioned?

Aira: Hey! One question at a time!  

Apparently he had guessed most of what happened : me faking my death, forming Kuroko alongside Itachi and Saaya, watching over Sunagakure from afar and 'researching' various things required for future endeavours and stuff. I completed the blank spaces and explained in detail how Ouka and I were the same person all along.

He listened to my explanations carefully. Rather, it was almost as if he was drinking every single word I spoke. Guess he had been searching for answers for a long, long time. But I didn't tell him about the 'kingmaker' deal with Madara.

Madara just wasn't the type of person who'd let me just walk away...especially after I accepted his 'request' to make him 'king'. I was far, far away from the Akatsuki hideout but I am pretty sure that Madara considers our agreement valid.

Well, in exchange for that I had requested him to graciously leave the five great shinobi nations in peace for a while...a time period that would help me fortify their defence for when the fourth great shinobi war begins. So it wasn't a bad deal on the whole...or so I think.

There was no denying that I was swimming in dangerous waters. It would only worsen once Kabuto uses 'edo-tensei'(reanimation jutsu) to bring Madara back to life, with his powers at its peak.  

Kabuto's edo-tensei...

Wait!

That's it!

Gaara: Aira? Why do you have that weird look?

I pulled my cheeks slightly in an attempt to bring my facial expression back to normal. This woozy feeling of euphoria that you experience upon having a brainwave...

Gaara: You are planning something crazy, aren't you?

Aira: Aw...Gaara-tan knows his girlfriend so well!

He colored slightly upon hearing this but I couldn't take my mind off the idea that struck me. If Kabuto is the one who brings Madara back to life then...why not prevent Kabuto from doing so? That would also reduce a lot of hassles in the fourth great shinobi war since he wouldn't be able to bring all those dead people back to life!

It would make the war anticlimactic...but people's life were more important,  believe it!

The next few days passed by in a flash. While most people went back, Gaara and Team Hayate stayed back in Hoshigakure on a 'A rank mission' a.k.a simply helping me out.

Given that kabuto was sure to have 'absorbed' Orochimaru by now, he was going to be a very formidable enemy. Besides, locating him itself was troublesome since he kept travelling a lot since Orochimaru's death.  

However, I had a very reliable and strong force to support me. Gaara, Itachi, Saaya, Hayate-sensei, Raijin and Akira. It was a wonderful team indeed. Especially since Itachi had officially betrayed the Akatsuki and joined Kuroko.

Gaara: This idea of yours is as crazy as ever...and yet, I've decided that I'll support your goals with all of my strength.

Raijin: Aw...look at the cute couple!

We both coloured deeply at this. While preparing my strategy, I kept double checking and triple checking my plans to avoid any flaws. 

For some reason, this quest felt different. As if there was something I was missing out on. As if...there was something greater going on.

Considering that ever since my appearance the timeline of narutoverse had changed drastically, I was prepared for unexpected surprises but...a nagging feeling kept pricking at my head.

Gaara: By the way Aira, do you know where Kakeru is? He's been missing ever since your 'death'...