Chapter 15 : The first crack

Aira P.O.V

I bit my lip, looking for any and every way out of this fight. Fighting Naruto and Gaara at a time was getting harder as time dragged on. Naruto was the type that developed and grew during battles. His attacks and moes were getting harder to dodge. Not to mention, his partnership with Gaara was more than perfect.

Aira: Tsk...I don't have the time to be playing around with you guys. Uzumaki Naruto, why don't you go back to tracking Sasuke or something? Ryuugamine Aira's situation shouldn't be of any consequence to you anyway...

Naruto: But she obviously matters a lot to Gaara and...I'll do anything to support my friends, believe it!

'Aira-san...you'll tire out at this rate...'

Of course I would. I'll become an easy target for Obito then. I really wasn't holding back on using Isobu's powers but...Naruto was getting better at using Kurama's powers. In fact, I was lucky that he wasn't using his Rasen-shuriken on me. But then, that was only because Gaara needed me alive for questioning.

Gaara: Surrender yourself. You might be let off quickly by the information department if you truly are innocent.

Aira: Right...but then it'll be too late. Besides, it's presumptuous for the kazekage to judge me when neither I, nor Aira were ever citizens of Sunagakure.

I saw a look of hurt pass Gaara's face. Naruto seemed to get more agitated when he realized that what I said was mentally affecting Gaara.

Naruto: You! You'll pay for hurting Gaara! I-

Before Naruto's Rasengan could come in contact with my sound sphere, a clocked man arrived on the scene and cancelled out Naruto's attack. I didn't have to see his face to identify him. After all...I was the one who called him.

~Flashback~

Saaya: Aira-san, what are you doing?

Aira: Hm? I'm writing a letter to a very special person. Since we are going to be attacked by three parties, it is only obvious that we should level up the playing field from our side.

Itachi: A letter to the Land of Iron? Are you sure they'll respond to your request? They are particularly known for being impartial and staying away from all ninjas.

Aira: Yes. I am sure about getting a favourable response. I am not writing a letter to the Land of Iron, but to a particular friend I have there. We are two peas in a pod...so I know exactly what would motivate him. Trust me when I say it's a win-win situation.

Itachi: Hn.

Saaya: So this person...who is he?

Aira: The adopted son of the Daimyo of Land of Iron, Oda Nobunaga!

~End of flashback~

Nobunaga: Ouka~chan, leave this to me.

Aira: Late though you are, your arrival is much appreciated!

Nobunaga: It is not my fault I am late...Mifune was completely against it.

Naruto had a blank face that openly said that he had no idea what was going on. Gaara's face, on the other hand, was blank but...surely he was confused. Besides politically, he cannot lay a hand on the ambassador from the Land of Iron...especially when they were allies of Sunagakure.

Gaara: Tsk...were you...waiting for reinforcements?

Aira: I was. It's a pity that I have to leave but...I have more pressing matters to attend to.

Naruto: W-Wait!

Nobunaga: I'll be your opponent!

Using the distraction, I ran towards the edge of the forest. I could hardly feel Saaya suppressing my chakra. It was an unexpected complication that Saaya was caught by Obito. But luckily since she was suppressing Isobu's chakra all this time during my fight with Naruto and the others, Isobu found it easy to trace back to her chakra. I knew where she was being held hostage.

Obito: Oh look! Aira~tan is finally here to play with Tobi!

Aira: Right...since Tobi is such a good boy, onee-sama is here to 'reward' him...

Saaya shivered slightly when she felt my killing intent. Uchiha Obito he might be but...I don't take kindly to my comrade being held hostage. Kuroko was the 'home' I finally found after searching for so long and Saaya was an integral part of it. She never pressed matters if I didn't want to answer and...she'd always make wonderful mouth-watering dishes to brighten our spirits.

She was one of the very few people I could actually call a friend in this world. Just wait Saaya...I'll save you no matter how hard it is.

Gaara P.O.V

'It's a pity that I have to leave but...I have more pressing matters to attend to.'

I was powerless to stop Ouka when she ran away half through the battle. But...I had a feeling that she was telling the truth. Initially she was totally focussed on fighting me and Naruto but then, halfway through the battle, she started showing more openings, as if she was distracted or...panicking.

This Nobunaga person...there was no doubt that he's the one we met in the Land of Wind, in the Daimyo's mansion(refer to Book 1, chapter 25 - The thousand cherry blossoms). But...why was he helping Ouka? Does this mean that Ouka really was chosen by...Aira?

Naruto: Gaara? Are you alright?

Gaara: Well...better than I thought. It is almost as if the path to finding Aira has opened up after a long time.

Nobunaga: Hm? Sabaaku no Gaara eh? Just a while ago you were the kid hiding behind Aira. Do you really think you can beat Aira's strategies?

Gaara: I know that I cannot beat Aira's strategies but...I won't give up on finding her! I have a lot to thank and apologize to her about. Besides...there is something I personally want to tell her.

Naruto: But isn't she-

Naruto was there when Aira was kidnapped by Itachi. The team from Konoha and Suna...both of them attested to the fact that Aira was doubtlessly captured. She disappeared off the Bingo book when Kakuzu of the Akatsuki submitted her body and collected the bounty on it. But...

Gaara: AIRA IS NOT DEAD! I...can feel it! There is no way that she would go down so easily! Besides...I can feel her presence! As if...I am still playing in the palm of her hand...SHE CAN'T BE DEAD!

Nobunaga: Hmmm....seems like you aren't the spoilt brat I thought you were. But you'll still have to defeat me to get to Ouka. Don't hold back. I won't cancel the generous support that Land of Iron has been proving Sunagakure.

Gaara: I see...in that case, Naruto...we have to win no matter the situation. Ouka might be in danger and...I feel like if we let go of this clue, then Aira really will disappear forever...

I understand Naruto's obsession with finding Sasuke. Aira was the first person who truly connected with me. She was doubtlessly scared with me and yet she tried to come close to me. Secretive she might have been but...she always worked for my sake. Surely I wish to do anything to get her b

And this time...it is my turn to answer to her feelings...