Chapter 32

"Yes, I understand. I'll tell him. Again I am so sorry," I heard Felicia talking on the phone in the other room. I strolled out of bed and practically skipped up behind her to wrap my arms around her small waist. "Hey there cutey," I whispered into her ear as I squeezed her a little. "Mathew," she calmly  spoke  my name. Traces of kisses up her neck left me unable to answer.  

She pushed me off and again repeated my name, this time with much more authority in her voice. The way her face was scrunched made my stomach drop, rocks were forming were there was once just love and happiness.

"What," was all I could muster up to say. She held my hand and led me like a child back to bed to sit, that's when I noticed she had my phone. I took it out of her hand a little more harshly then intended, causing her to jump back a few feet away from me. 

She regained herself and began to let salty bits of sadness leak from her eyes. "Mathew it's your dad... He's in the hospital," her little voice told me. I had known along time now that this would be happening sooner or later. "How long does he have?" I asked, secretly hoping that she didn't have an answer for me. She shook her head, "I don't know, the nurse wouldn't give me any private information, because I'm not related". Nodding I tried to hide my relief. "We should go there, I'm sure a plane leaves for the states sometime soon, I'll get right on it. Go lay down," she reassured me that everything would be alright.

Laying down couldn't have been a worse idea. All of these horrid thoughts of never seeing him again, of having to tell him the merger was no longer going through, tears slid down my face like hot acid. "Felicia," I cried out in sobbing pain. Little footsteps could be heard before she appeared at the door with a phone to her ear. "Yeah the two o'clock one is great, thanks", she hung up the phone.

She laid beside me letting me rest my head on her shoulder while she hummed to comfort me. "Who was on the phone," I asked not being able to take anymore bad news. "I'm really sorry sweety, they only had one seat left on the next flight. Don't you worry though, I'll be on the six o'clock right behind you." The thought of Felicia not being there made me cry more, but the thought of not seeing my dad one last time was even worse.

"I'm going to get your bag packed for you, don't you worry about a thing", Felicia gave me a kiss on the forehead before getting up. All of my crying gave me such a headache I barely remember being put in the car to head to the airport.