Chapter 18

I slid my finger across my phone to answer, but couldn't bring myself to talk. After a very awkward silence my dad finally said, "Felicia? Honey, are you there?" I couldn't breath, why was he calling me? This must be a big deal. Mathew, who was still sitting beside me, put his hand on mine for support. This was enough for me to answer.

        "Um, yeah. Hey dad." The formalities ended there.

        "Alright listen up. Molly told me you've been staying with Mathew. I am not letting you ruin this for her or more importantly me, so I'm giving you a condo. It's my rental property so you better take care of it. I'll text you the address and the key will be in the mailbox. I don't want you around Mathew unless Molly invites you understood?" As he finished my nervousness about talking to him quickly changed. I was no longer scared of him, because I realized I had the upper hand.

        "No." I told him back.

        "Excuse me? I didn't ask you that was an order." He yelled. Mathew jumped next to me hearing the roaring maniac on my phone no doubt.

        "No, Mathew is my friend and I'm not just going to drop him because you're offering me stuff." I heard my dad sigh. He never sighed like that, that was the sigh of defeat.

        "Listen honey, I know how you feel. I felt like that about your mother to," That made me perk up, dad never mentioned my mother. Ever. "However Mathew is with Molly and you can't break that up, they love each other a lot. They're set to marry in just a few months." I was still hung up on him mentioning mom to listen anymore.

        "Thanks for the condo dad. Bye." He started to say something but I hung up.

            "So your dad just gave you this condo?" Mathew asked as we where driving his car down the deserted highway.

        "Yeah in exchange I'm not supposed to be alone with you. But you know I don't really care what he has to say, so I'm bringing you to the condo he gave me," I smirked telling him the directions to my new place.

            The place was on the 6th floor and pretty big. It had a nice sized kitchen and living room, two bedrooms and a bathroom. My favorite part was the balcony though. It overlooked the ocean. With the sun just setting it couldn't have been more beautiful. The condo was already fully furnished, as well as the balcony. It had a nice cushioned canopy chair hanging in the corner. Plopping down in it, Mathew came out. He leaned against the railing and looked over at me. I smiled at him sweetly. He came and lay next to me putting an arm around me.

        "Felicia can I ask you something I've never been able to ask Molly?"

        "Yeah sure," I responded laying my head on his chest like I've gotten so used to doing.

        "What happened to your mother?" His question caught me off guard. No one ever asked about her, actually no one spoke about her ever. Mathew must have noticed my uneasiness because he sat up and looked me in the eye "Felicia you can talk to me." That's when my walls broke once again because of him. I started to cry a lot as I told the story.

        "When I was seven I was kidnapped. My mom being the woman she was did everything she could to find me. It helped a lot that she was a cop, she finally found me a month later, this perverted old man had got me." I had to stop and breathe, this was taking a lot more out of me then I thought it would. Mathew sensed how much it was hurting to talk about and shushed me. He put a finger to my lips

        "You don't have to say anymore, not tonight. Tell me when you're good and ready." I nodded laying back down beside him, pushing thoughts of my mother out of my mind.