Chapter 3 {Idea of the Millennium}

“What!?” I screamed.  How could she say that!  How could she tell me to quit talking to my best friend?

            “Well…honey, all of your problems have come up because of Mara’s friendship with you.” She could clearly see that I was really angry with the whole situation.

“Oh, just because of that stupid fight, I have to quit talking to her?”  I said with a sarcastic blade attached to it.

            I could see that she was a little taken back me sarcasm, but she still managed to spit out the word, “Yes.”

            I was applauded.  This was my own mom, who told me that I should have a “letter buddy”, as she called it; but now, she wanted me to stop.

            She could see that I was hurt.  She tried to give me an apologetic look, but I wouldn’t even look at her.

            Then it hit me.  What if I could see her?  What if I could finally meet her?

            “Mom,” I said with a surprising amount of excitement.

            “I will stop sending letters to Mara.”

            “Really?” she questioned.

            “Yea but let me right her one more letter.”

            “Of course.” She said as she got up.  She looked at me one more time, expecting me to change my mind.

When I didn’t, she left my room.  As soon as I didn’t hear footsteps anymore, I leaned across my bed, grabbing my stationary.  I had the greatest idea in the history of ideas.  I was finally going to meet Mara. 

            So many words rushed into my head.  What will I say; I need her to say yes.  I took a deep breath, and started to write.

Dear Mara,

I have the greatest idea of the century, even of the millennium, we should meet.  I have a lot of things happen lately, so I think that is the right time.  I haven’t told my mom yet, I need you to ask your mom first.  I am thinking that we could meet somewhere in the middle.  Right now, I am thinking London, England.  We should do this really soon, Mara.  I am thinking in the next month or so.  I would like you to ask your mom first, because you mom has the most important role, letting you go to London.

            Also, my idea sprouted with my mom telling me that I need to stop writing to you.  I think that if we meet, she will see that you will always be my best friend, no matter how far away you are.  She will she that we have a bond, like sisters, and she will not want to take that away.

            You know, you are the first person who has stood by my side, helped me through the toughest times, and I want to thank you for that.

            I can’t wait to hear from you, with love,

Mura

            Once my letter was signed, stamped, and sealed, I jumped up off my bed.  As soon as my feet hit the floor, I regretted it.  I winced when the razor sharp pain shot up from my ankle.  At that very moment, I thought to myself, well at least this is not a hard wood floor.

            Trying to stay calm, I yelled for Seth.  (I would have yelled for one of parents, but they were of at work.)  I was hoping he could help me up -he was the stronger brother out of the two- and if he would help me to the mailbox.

            Personally, I think that he has supernatural powers or something.  Before I could finish saying his name, he was already leaning against my faded wall.  You know the more that I think about it, he was probably waiting outside my door.  (Am I really that predictable??) 

He said, “Gravity hates you, doesn’t it.”

            I smiled wryly.  “Will you please help me up Seth?  This isn’t as comfortable as it looks.”

            He looked at me with a worried expression, “Are you okay Kura?”

            “At the moment, just a little uncomfortable, why?”

            “Well…for once in your life, you actually said please.”  He chuckled, and then I slapped him in the leg.  “Ha-ha, seriously, can you please help me up; this is not how I want to spend my day.”  I said with a pang of desperation.  My ankle was turned at an awkward angle.

            Seth could see that I was being completely serious, so he locked his arms under my

I said with a sigh of relief, “Thank you, Seth.”

“No problem, glad to be of service.”  He said with a nod.  He turned to walk away.

“Hey Seth…” I said hesitantly, “do you mind helping me out to the mailbox; I need to hand deliver something.”

He gave me a strange look, it made me shudder.  He stared into my eyes, searching for something.  When he found nothing, he shrugged and pulled me up and let me use him as a crutch. 

            After 10 minutes, I was back in my room, exhausted.  I never knew how hard it was to use someone as a crutch.  (Although, I have never done it before.)  I am so grateful to have a helpful (useful) brother like Seth.