Chapter 4 {Stupid Awkwardness}

Finally my long sentence of being expelled is finally up.  If I had to sit at home and do nothing, I think I would have to scream.

Honestly I am a little bit nervous about going back to school.  I mean, what if no one will talk to me, I probably am more messed up than David is.

At 7:55a.m., my mom pulled the cherry red mini-van up in front of the school.  She gave me a worried look, as she got my crutches out of the back for me.  (Of all the times to sprane an ankle, it had to be right after the fight!)

Once I was on my crutches, the uphill battle began.  Since I was just coming back from suspension, my mom had to take me to the office.  I was very slow, I could see that she was getting annoyed, and so was I. 

After 10 minutes or so, I was signed in, had my conference with the principal, and was in my first class of the day. 

From the moment I walked into class, there was an awkward silence blanket covering the room.  Great.  I was hoping this would not go for very long.

  After a long 57 minutes, it was on to second period.  I am wondering if my whole day is going to be like this.  As I was lost in thought about my day, I kid decided to stick his foot under my crutch.  That was a big mistake.  Instead of tripping me, he got his foot crushed by my right crutch.  I couldn’t help but snicker to myself, as he whimpered his way to class.

That was probably as interesting as my day was going to get. 

Well, I was kind of right.  First through fourth were all of the same, long and awkward.  Right now, I just want the day to be over, instead in going to lunch.  Thank god.  I am so hungry.

The very moment I stepped into the cafeteria, I knew my day was not going to get better.  There were two sections of the cafeteria, my “supporters”, and David’s “supporters”. 

I couldn’t shake the feeling that every person in the place was staring at me, even the adults.

That wasn’t even my biggest problem.  My biggest problem was finding a seat.  People would say that they were saving a seat for some made up person; it felt like no one wanted me to sit down.  

Eventually I found a cozy seat in the office to eat.  I had nowhere else to eat; why not just eat where no one will stare at you.  After my ham sandwich it was time to go to fifth and sixth period. Great.  Luckily for me, they flew by I thought it was going to be horrible, because David is in my last class of the day, but he was a no show.  That was pretty helpful, for me at least.

After a long day, I was finally glad to go home.  I was relieved when the red mini-van pulled up, it was my gateway (car way) to my safe haven.  There was something odd though.  My mom seemed over happy, to jittery.  It was kind of obvious that she was trying to hide something, she was never good at that.

“Mom, what is up with you?” I said causally.  My mom’s eyes flashed with a look of defeat.

Oh nothing.”  She said realizing that she had given a hint away.  She hurried to try to change her expression, to make it blank and unreadable.  I knew that she was going to be a rock now, not saying anything else; afraid of giving something else away.  After the 10 minute car ride, I was finally home.  When I got to my room, I collapsed on my bed.  At this moment in time, I thought everything was stupid and just put on this earth to annoy me. (When I get in these moods of self-pity, everyone knows to stay away from me.  A once threaten to kill Mark.  Well, I guess that that is not to have to believe.)

As my eyes scanned the room, my eyes fell on a white envelope.  My heart skipped a beat.  I knew exactly what it was.  I couldn’t move.  Is this really it?  Could it really be the answer to my problems?

I snapped out of my trance and grabbed my crutches.  With one assisted step, I had the letter in my clammy grasp.  I went to rip the seal open, only to realize that the seal was slightly opened.  I thought, know wander she was so jittery, she knew that I got a letter from Mara.

I can’t believe it.  My dreams will come true.  I am floating into heaven…then I came crashing back down.  I still had to ask my parents.  Why didn’t I think of it sooner?

How would I do it?  How would I tell them, yet ask them if I could to the great city of London.

My biggest problem will be trying act surprised.  I mean, I had it all set up, now I have to blame it on Mara.

Unfortunately, I have her phone number.  To make it worse, my parents know that I have it.

What am I going to do?