Chapter 2

1001 A.D.

It has been days since Henrik has passed away. In that small amount of time, I have become very sick. I have a very high fever and constantly feel dizzy. Every room I enter feels stuffy and hot. My aunt has advised me to stay in bed until my fever runs down. My aunt, Adeline, took Iris, Basil, and I into her arms when my parents died which was months ago. As she has been taking care of me, I have not seen the Mikaelsons. They have stopped by only once. Kol brought me flowers and Rebekah played with my hair. Elijah, Klaus, and Finn tried cheering me up, Elijah and Klaus succeeding more than Finn. That, however, was only one day. They kept their distance ever since. I was confused as to why they avoided me until one day, all my questions were answered.

Basil brought me a jug of water and sat beside me on my grass bed.

"How are you feeling?" He asked as I guzzled down the water.

I raised an eyebrow at him, "Do you want the harsh truth or the sugarcoated lie?"

After debating, he said, "I guess I would rather have the truth."

"Well then I feel genuinely ghastly. My vision is hazy and I constantly feel dizzy. I feel extremely hot and sweaty. My throat burns when I swallow or speak. To add to the horror, my Love and best friend will not visit me," I said, sighing at the end.

Basil scratched the back of his head, a nervous habit, as he spoke, "About that..."

"What?" I clamored with a clenched jaw and raised eyebrows.

Basil took a deep breathe before speaking, "The Mikaelsons, they left and Rebekah said they did not plan on coming back."

"What?! Why?!" I cried out, then couching afterwards.

"Alexandria, when Henrik died something happened to them," Basil said in a low tone.

I scoffed, "Well yes, when you lose someone dearly to you, you change."

"Well they did not change in that way. What I mean is that they are no longer human," Basil spoke those last words slowly, examining my reaction.

I felt my face fall, "Then what are they?"

"Vampires," Basil said quietly.

I let go of a breath I didn't know I was holding. When I stayed silent, Basil spoke more and more, "Esther cast a dark spell that changed her children. The spell was so dark that she lost her witch abilities; They were taken from her. Then, she was killed by Mikael."

He continued as I took in the information, "Now, they are vampires. They feed off of human blood and were cursed to burn in sunlight. However, they were gifted with great strength and super speed. They can also compel humans' minds and make them do what they want."

"Why did they leave us?" I choked out as tears fell from my face.

Basil's face softened, "They didn't want to leave but they also did not want to hurt us. They had planned to turn you, me, and Iris into vampires but only if we were fine with it. Rebekah turned me and Kol planned to turn you while Klaus would turn Iris. Then, they realized they would be putting us into trouble because Mikael was trying to kill them so ran away."

"So you're a vampire," I stated, not wanting to believe. Basil only nodded.

"Does Iris know?" I asked, running a hand through my brown locks of hair.

"Yes and she refuses to speak to me. She does not trust me anymore. Do you still trust me?" Basil said, hurt visible through his blue eyes.

I nodded, "Of course. You are my brother and I will always love you."