Chapter 39

Last night, I had packed up my things. I decided that I would leave with the Mikaelsons. I had discussed this with Basil before bed.

"Hey," I said, peering into Basil's room where he was lying in bed.

He turned to me and smiled, "Hey? How was the party?"

I sighed deeply, walking inside, "Definitely eventful."

Basil chuckled and sat up as I sat beside him, "What do you mean?"

"Esther came back for like the millionth time and was being chaotic," I said, laughing softly when I realized how messed up our lives are.

"Wow," Was all Basil could say as his eyes went wide.

I nodded my head, "Yep. Turns out, Esther was possessing Rebekah's body so Rebekah still must wake."

"Is she okay?" He asked suddenly, his eyes seeming anxious.

This made me grin, "Yes, she is alright. However, she won't be when she finds out she missed the decades dance."

He cracked a smile before shifting the subject, "I wish I was here to tell you that you look beautiful."

"Thanks!" I said, smoothing out my dress. 

I felt my face fall slightly when I searched for words. I needed to tell him about my idea of leaving.

"What's wrong?" He asked with a slight frown as he searched my face.

I averted my eyes to my fidgeting hands as I spoke, "Niklaus and his siblings are leaving."

"Oh," Basil said softly, barely a whisper.

"And I was thinking of leaving with them," I trailed off, looking at him carefully, awaiting his response.

He cocked an eyebrow at me, "Oh really? When did you plan on leaving?"

"Tomorrow," I mumbled, looking away again.

Basil bit his lip before nodding his head expressively, "Great. I think you need an escape from this place. You have had your fair share of drama this year to last you a lifetime."

I was completely shocked by this response. I almost did not know what to say, "Huh? What?"

"I think this will be good for you, Alexandria," Basil said with a sad smile.

"Come with me!" I blurted out, feeling like this was happening too fast.

This made him laugh, "I have my own life! I finally found someone. I don't want to scare her away by traveling with my imortal ex girlfriend! You and I can always visit each other."

"But... I don't want to leave you," I knitted my eyebrows together as my lips pouted.

"What did you expect? Did you think that I would easily go with you and leave everything behind?" Basil asked, raising his voice slightly.

I lowered my head, feeling ashamed of myself, "I am so sorry. That was selfish of me. Nikki did the same thing to me and it hurt me. I shouldn't have treated you that way."

"Hey, hey, hey," Basil said, lifting my head up to look him in the eyes. "You're okay, Alexandria. You should go with the Mikaelsons. Go, have fun. You need it right now. We can visit all the time!" 

I nodded my head and wiped away a tear, "Okay, if you say so, Basil. I think I am going to go to bed. I feel drained."

"Goodnight, Alexandria," Basil said as I got up from his bed.

"Night," I softly said, leaving the room and going into my room. 

Now I was heading over to the Mikaelson mansion where Rebekah and Niklaus were. I had talked with Kol on the phone on the car ride there. He was in another town, wanting some alone time which I respected.

When I arrived, I left my luggage in my car. I walking inside and followed the voices of Rebekah and Niklaus. I walked inside and Rebekah was speaking as Niklaus packed things up. She had not yet noticed I was in the room.

"Alaric Saltzman just tried to kill me," She told him, looking terrified.

"What?" I exclaimed, nearly dropping my phone.

Niklaus continues to pack the furniture, "Alaric Saltzman is supposed to be dead."

"Well, he's not and he's a vampire thanks to mother's spell with a white oak stake that can't kill him. He's strong, Nic. Too strong," She says, her voice softening at the end.

"Where is he now?" I asked, my heart rate quickening.

Rebekah turned to me with glossy eyes, "He's stuck at the school without a daylight ring, but as soon as night falls he'll come after us. We need to leave now."

"Fine. I'll collect Elena, we'll be on our way," Niklaus says as he stops before packing more.

The blonde gaped at her brother, "Forget Elena! You don't need any more stupid hybrids!"

"What I need is protection from Esther's continued assaults against us," Niklaus retorted.

"Nikki, that is absurd! We have each other," I frowned at him, crossing my arms over my chest.

Rebekah nodded her head and her voice rose, "Exactly! We'll protect each other, like we always have. Always and forever, Nic."

"I'm not leaving without her," Niklaus glowered lowly.

"I'm leaving now. You can either walk out that door with me or you are on your own," Rebekah threatened, tears almost falling.

I jumped forward and said, "Woah! Don't say anything you'll regret, you two."

They stared each other down and ignored me. When Niklaus looked at her but did not say anything, Rebekah said, "Fine. Trust your hybrids over your family. Let your spite be the death of you, see if I care."

She walks out of the room and bumps into Tyler, "Move it, sire boy!"

"What's her deal?" Tyler asks, holding a bunch of boxes.

I ignored him and turned to Niklaus, "How could you say that to her, you selfish bastard?"

When Niklaus did not respond, I huffed and followed after her. 

"Rebekah, wait!" I called as I chased after her.

"I am done with him. I have given him so many chances yet he always puts those hybrids above us," Rebekah said when I caught up with her.

I sighed and ran my hands through my hair, "Where do you plan to go?"

She shrugged her shoulders before turning to me, "I am not sure. Possibly I will go to Elijah. What will you do?"

"I want to stay. We shouldn't leave Nikki behind when Alaric is still alive," I said softly, not wanting to trigger her anger.

She sighed, "Fine but I will not speak to him or even acknowledge him."

Her stubbornness made me smile, "Great. STay here and observe everyone as I go get Kol."