Chapter 18

Damon, Alaric, and I arrived at the Salvatore Boarding House in the nick of time. On the ride here, Damon told me what happened with Elijah in detail. We strolled into the reading area and were drinking bourbon.

"Today was a bust," Damon muttered, glaring at the world.

"Yeah," Alaric sighed as he nodded his head, agreeing with his drinking buddy.

My eyebrows furrowed at them, "What went through your mind when you challenged Elijah? He is a thousand years old--the same age as me. What made you think you could take him down when you can't even throw a punch at me?"

"I killed him once. I figured I could do it again," Damon said, placing his deadly glare upon me.

I rolled my eyes and mumbled, "Well, you figured wrong."

He continued to glare at me which made me smirk. I love annoying the hell out of Damon.

"How's your neck?" Alaric asks, somewhat changing the subject.

"Sore," Damon wined, wincing as he rubbed his neck.

I rolled my eyes and sighed, "That's what you get."

Alaric ignored me, "Yeah. That Elijah is one scary dude, but with nice hair. Hey. Do you guys want another one?"

I chuckled at the hair part then shook my head, "No thanks. I want some blood."

He nodded his head and I got up from the couch. I went into the basement where the Salvatore blood stash was. I grabbed a bag of type O blood. I went back upstairs using my unusual speed, suddenly appearing in the room.

"What's up with you and this news chick?" Alaric inquired, noticing I was in the room.

He looked slightly shocked and sort of worried. Something flashed in Damon's eyes but I didn't question anything.

"Yes, Damon. Do tell," I said, wiggling my eyebrows at him.

"Ooh. She's got spunk, huh?" Damon said, smirking at the thought of her.

Alaric's expression turned serious as he sat down, "Just don't kill her, please."

"Where's the fun in that?" I asked, smirking at Damon and Alaric.

"Yeah. If I did, who would report her death?" Damon asked, opening his arms in question as he leaned back in his chair.

I stifled a laugh as Alaric's face remained unamused, "Just don't do it, all right? She's friends with Jenna and it's bad enough that I'm lying to her about everything else. I hate the lies."

"Oh yeah. John seems like he's up to shit. I would be on the lookout if I were you," I warned Alaric, raising my eyebrows at him.

He nods and takes his phone from his pocket and looks at it, "Oh, God. I got to go. I got to pick Jenna up. Don't worry. I'll, uh, shoe myself out."

He stood up and Damon put his hands behind his head an shuts his eyes, "Good luck."

I scoffed, "Yeah. Try not to get lost in this place."

Alaric walks out with a small grin. Damon and I say in silence for a moment before a loud crash echoes from the hallway. Damon's eyes flew open and darted to the hallway.

"What the hell was that?" I asked, not sure if it were to myself of Damon.

Together, we walk out the library and into the hallway. My eyes instantly fly over to Alaric who has a large knife plunged into his stomach. Looking upon us both, his hands glide over the knife. He groans as he crumples to the floor.