Chapter 21

Elijah and I were on our tour around Mystic Falls. Jenna was surprised to see me with Elijah.

~X~ Earlier that Day ~X~

We walked into Mystic Grill where we were meeting Jenna. Instantly, I spotted Jenna's strawberry blond hair sat in a booth. Elijah and I strolled over and scooted into the booth. 

"Alex! I didn't know you knew Elijah. Well, I saw you two together at the tea," Jenna rambled on with a surprised expression. 

I chuckled and nodded my head, "Hello to you, too, Jenna."

She shook her head with a smile, "Right. Sorry."

I waved her off, "Don't worry about it."

"And yes, we do know each other. She is an old family friend," Elijah said, grinning at Jenna.

"Now, how about we learn of the history of Mystic Falls, rather than Elijah and my own,"I said, wiggling my eyebrows at Elijah and Jenna with a grin.

Jenna smiled back and nodded her head, "Yeah, let's go!"

~X~ Present Time ~X~

"So what made you want to tag along, Alex?" Jenna asked as we walked through the trees, nearing the old Fell property.

I shrugged my shoulders, lying easily, "Well, as you know, I recently moved here. When Elijah told me he was getting a tour, I thought it would be cool to learn about Mystic Falls; especially with a member of one of the founding families as our tour guide."

Jenna nodded with a smile and gestured forward, "The old Fell property actually starts just beyond that fence."

"Ah, the Fells. One of the Founding Families," Elijah said with a halfhearted smile and a roll of his eyes.

"Why would you say it like that?" Jenna asks curiously.

Elijah explained his knowledge from 'research', "My research showed me that this area was actually settled almost two full centuries earlier. It was a migration of townsfolk from the northeast, um, it was Salem, to be precise."

"Massachusetts? As in the witch trials?" Jenna questioned, raising her eyebrows at Elijah.

That silly word sent chills down my spine as I muttered, "I hate witches."

I doubt Jenna heard me because she was focussed on Elijah who nodded and said, "Which means the ever-lauded founding families... didn't actually found anything."

"Interesting," I mused, raising my eyebrows at Elijah. 

Jenna nodded and grinned at me, "Well, I bet it was the men who made a big deal about being founders back in 1860. Men are very territorial."

I chuckled and agreed, "Got that right."

"Yes, they are," Elijah said, looking up in the distance.

I heard footsteps and picked my head up. Following Elijah's gaze, I saw Alaric coming up to us. I bit my tongue to prevent myself from laughing.

Jenna smiled but she looked confused at Alaric's presence, "Elijah, this is my friend, Alaric Saltzman." 

"Yeah, I got your message about walking Elijah and Alex here through the old property lines. I thought I would tag along. You know being a history buff and all. Where to next?" Alaric said with a fake smile.

I could sense the awkward tension running between Jenna and Alaric. Jenna kept awkwardly looking at the floor as she bit her lip. I wonder if the eerie Gilbert--John--told Jenna anything about Alaric's sidejob.