p e r s o n a l

Uploading photos from my old phone onto my computer, my phone buzzed as I stopped on a group photo of my old friends and I in high school. My phone buzzed next to me, and to my delight, it was best friend.

Jack: hey Immy, it's Jack. Are you doing anything tonight? X

Jack Maynard, my best friend since primary school messaged me. I hadn't seen him since we graduated high school, since he went to another university then me.

Imogen: hey, I'm free tonight. Why's that? Miss you x

Setting my phone down, I patiently waited for a reply.

Jack:  can I take you to the beach? I know it's short notice, but we need to talk X

I bit my lip and took a deep breath, looking over at the clock. It was 4:59pm and I was still in my pajamas.

Imogen: okay, what time?

Closing the laptop screen and pushing it off my lap, I walked into my closet and tried to decide what to wear. Where was he taking me? Should I wear running shoes, or casual boots? Was it cold outside? I wouldn't know, the antisocial butterfly I am. Jack texted me saying he would pick me up in an hour, and to wear casual clothes. I texted him my address then put my phone on charge and decided on white skinny jeans and a long sleeve black crop top. I laid them out on my bed and took a quick shower, just to hide that fact I did fuck all today.

Wrapping a towel around my body, I sat down at my desk and started on my makeup. Pretty simple with just concealer, blush, bronzer, mascara and eyeliner, I then pulled on my clothes and put my hair up into a messy bun. Apparently that took some time, because it was 5:48pm and Jack would be here soon. He was always early. I popped a mint into my mouth just as someone knocked on the door.

"Immy!" Jack smiled and pulled me into a hug. His arms wrapped around my waist and I hugged his neck. "I've missed you," he whispers into my hair.

"I've missed you too," I said back smiling.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked. I had my phone in my pocket and my keys, wallet and a few other things in my purse so I nodded and shut the door. As we approached the car park, Jack's hand brushed against mine. I blushed and took it away.

"Where are we going?  I asked quietly.

"The beach of course!" Since I lived across the road to the beach, it should've been an obvious answer.

As we walked on the sand, talked a lot and took in the beautiful sunset, I stopped when he stood in front of me in the middle of the jetty. I bit my lip as he dragged us to the side. Is this what he wanted to tell me? What's the worst that could happen? My conscious tells me, he's going to say he's married? He's moving to the other side of the world?

"Imogen, there is so thing I've needed to tell you for so long," Jack said quietly and grabbing my hand. A mix of emotions sat in the bottom of my stomach, and butterflies flew around inside me.

"We've known each other since primary school, and I knew I loved you the moment I set my eyes on you. We drifted apart when we got to middle school, but became closer when we were about to graduate. But the thing is..." He paused dramatically.

"Jack... what is it?" I asked, squeezing his hand. This is it. The voice said again. He has gotten a girl pregnant! I know it!

"I've needed to ask you this for so long, but I didn't know how. But Imogen," my heart dropped when he said that, I felt like jumping off the jetty and swimming into the English Channel, just to be eaten by sharks. "Would you be my girlfriend?" I stared into his deep blue eyes and bit my lip. I wanted to speak, but no words came out. "Immy?"

"Y-yes!" I squealed wrapping my arms around his neck. He pulled away from the hug and kissed me sweetly on the lips. As we both pulled away, a family with two little kids smiled and pointed at us as we stood by the side, wind whipping my bits of hair around and the gorgeous orange glow of the sun on the water. I smiled and waved with my free hand, my left still attached to Jack's hand.

We walked to the back of the jetty, then he bought some ice cream to share. I couldn't ask for a better boyfriend.

///

Dedicated chapter for Alert_Scene_FanGirl ( you should also check out all her books, she's a very... Creative writer ;) ) That was very descriptive 😂 hope you enjoyed. Comment if you'd like a dedicated chapter 💞