Chapter Twenty Two

The Icy Beta: Chapter Twenty Two

Brayden and I were walking in the garden hand in hand. The breeze swept across my face. We stopped in front of a water fountain and sat at the side of the fountain. We stayed in a comfortable silence. It seemed like hours had past before Brayden spoke.

“I was 15 back then.” I turned to look at Brayden when he suddenly said something out of the blue. “When I first met her.”

I looked at my hands that were placed on my lap. I fidgeted nervously. Is he going to tell me about his past now? Am I even ready to hear it? When I glanced at Brayden again, he was still staring straight ahead.

“There are different packs all over the world. I was in a different pack previously. My pack was called the Knight Pack. My dad was a Beta in that pack. Since young, I was trained to become the Beta. One day when I was patrolling around the borders, I found her lying in the woods wounded. Despite her being a rouge, I brought her back to the pack house to get treated. She said she was tortured by her old pack. That day when I found her was the day that she decided to escape from her old pack. She was running away without any destination in mind. And when she reached our land, she fainted due to fatigue and major loss of blood. After she had recovered, we accepted her into our pack even though we sceptical about her story.”

Throughout the time that Brayden was telling me his story, I was looking down at my lap. I didn’t know why but I was afraid to look at him. I wouldn’t want to know what was his expression as he talked about her.

“Alana is older than me by 4 years old. Despite that, we were able to get along. We loved the same songs. We watched the same movies. We spent nights together talking to each other about the things that happened in the day. During my first shift, she was there to get me through the pain. Gradually, I started to like her. Although my wolf didn't like her, as a human, my feelings for her were more than just a friend.”

I knew they had a past together. But I didn’t know it was so hard for me to hear him talked about the past he had with her. At this very moment, I was feeling regretful for not meeting Brayden earlier. They had shared so many memories together. Part of me was jealous of her. I hoped that I was the one who watched movies with Brayden, listened to the same song and spent the nights talking about our day… She was special to him.

“Just the day before I got the beta position from my dad, the pack was under attacked. The enemies were very clear about how the pack functioned. They knew our structure, all of our strengths and weaknesses. That day, the Knight Pack fell. My entire family was killed. My dad, My mum and my brother. The whole pack was destroyed too. It was all along a trap, from the first day I met her. She and her mate had plotted to bring packs down and take over their lands.

Since Knight Pack was one of the smaller packs, they decided to take down our pack first. From the beginning, she had motives when she approached me. That why she was nice and friendly towards me. I was so naïve thinking that she felt the same way as I did. All along, she was trying to get information of the pack to help her mate in attacking us. The funniest thing was when she had her chance to kill me, she let me go instead.”

There were minutes of silence past. I was playing with my fingers and my hands were sweating. I did not know what should I say. After hearing what Brayden had said, I could understand why he didn’t want to get near to me in the first place. He was afraid. He was afraid that he might experience the same thing over again. He couldn’t trust people easily anymore. But she had a soft spot for Brayden, hadn't she? She had let Brayden go twice, including that day when they kidnapped me. She let us go.

“Is her mate… Robert Miller?” I asked. I took a glance at Brayden. He nodded in reply. That was why he hated him. That was also why when he heard that I was his daughter, he created a distance between us.