Chapter Ten: Birthday Parties

A week later, I find myself staring in the bathroom mirror, watching an uncomfortable Nirvaan tap his fingers on the rim of the sink. My eyes stay firmly on my tie as my hands fly to it, fixing up its messy appearance to a neater one. I do an one over, taking in the black tie and suit with the neatly done hair. With my gaze firmly on my hair that's slicked away, I feel the urge to mess it up into its usual position. Instead I let it lie and quickly back away from the mirror as if it'll erase the strange look of my hair.

I open the door of the bathroom, facing the noisy room. The sound appears to be coming from the stereo and drunken laughter coming from footsteps on the dance floor. As predicted, Amrita had to go all out and rent a huge floor. The place has everything equipped; a dance floor, bar and an extra room for the drunk people who can't go home. To top it off, there's a place where you can eat and sit. I'm sure Diego paid for some of this, only self paid rich people could have done this.

My eyes finally spot Tina out of hundred, her pink dress spreading around her like wildfire. It swirls with the beat and her brown eyes are settled on Amrita who's lips are moving. I suddenly feel awkward with the idea of meeting up with Tina now, that now I know I'll interrupt their moment. Diego will finally ask about all the questions that he's been asking. I've successfully avoided him for the week, skillfully dodging his questions.

With no other option, I spot the balcony and move to it. It's better than the idea of being trapped in this heat with bodies that think they can dance. On my way to the outdoors, the way to feel the cold air I desire for, a waiter offers a lemonade drink - or something like that. His voice is unheard over the stereo but I still nod while grabbing the drink.

A welcome breeze of air brushes my hair and I suddenly realize how hot it was in the room. It must have been the amount of people there. With a yawn, I stretched while peering at the view. It felt like I could watch the whole world here; the stars, the moon and the fogs of my lips present here. Apparently, someone else is as well. I watch her without a word, my eyes settling on the fog that escapes her cigarette.

Her red dress falls to her knees, flowing with the harsh wind and she stands tall with her red heels. "Why did you come?" I ask her, causing Matsya to turn towards me. Her lips close shut as she realizes I must have walked in while she was lost in her world.

"Tina invited me. I thought it'll be rude to avoid coming so I came," she replies. Of course, Tina had invited her. Tina's kindness is getting on my nerves now - she's known Matsya for a week. It's an understatement to say this week went by awkwardly, it was beyond terrible.

Matsya and I had nothing to talk about without arguing. The guilt has eaten me raw but my lips never find a moment to tell her I'm sorry. The fact that we've made a habit of avoiding each other like the other is poison is enough to keep my lips shut.

"Not much of a dancer?" she asks, her eyes meeting mine. I drop my gaze, embarrassment burning red-hot in my mind. I need to say sorry. Instead, I nod and smile at her. Her lips are coated in a bold red lipstick and none of it is smeared across her pearly teeth or skin. The ciggerette limply hangs from her hands and I find myself getting disgusted at it.

"Smoking is bad for health," I remind her. Her eyes refuse to move from the skyscrapers and I find myself walking to her after I close the door. The music is tuned out and nothing but my footsteps are heard for a while. "You probably know after years of watching movies." I laugh, thinking about the clips that gave me nightmares before I sleep.

Matsya doesn't laugh. "It can kill you," I say, feeling slightly more responsible towards her. That or the health classes I was forced to take at school is coming in handy. She drops the cigarette on the floor and snubs it without another word. I barely know her and here I am, enforcing my views on her. I'm meant to apologize but again, I've lost my voice.