Chapter Thirteen: Pizza and Phones

My eyes open, jolting myself awake when I hear the car door slamming open. "You're awake?" Matsya says, most likely confirming it for herself. "I'm getting pizza. It's past midnight, I'm starving and it's way too late to go home without Amir questioning so I'm eating here."

"They serve this late?" I ask, causing Matsya to nod. "Get me some too." With a yawn, I stretch myself. A glance to the clock shows that I've only been asleep for ten minutes after mine and Matsya's chat.

When Matsya slams the car again, I watch her figure walk to pizza hutt. As soon as she enters the shop, I take off the seatbelt and blanket, uncaring of the cold now. Quickly, I look at the back of the seats for any clue of Amir.

Amir is directly linked to Matsya and why she's in crime - and crime is most likely linked to why she's working at my place and taken so much place in my life. If I manage to find out the cause, I can easily take her to the police or help her to her goal in order to get rid of her.

I don't know why I want to get rid of her so much. There's something about her, all the questions she raises in mind and the butterflies she caused becuase of the kiss. In a way, I want to know more about her but I also want to be weary. I'm a month and she's the flame. Even though I know she'll burn, I keep on wanting to know the answers to my questions.

I take out my phone to guide me, lighting it on while I frantically skin the mess. There's nothing other than clothes, cans of paint and brushes. My eyes move to a glinting screen, a phone and I nearly scream with joy. This could be it, the link to all the questions in my mind.

I turn on the Samsung phone, feeling deja vu while doing so. With tired eyes, I flip over the case for a clue why and spot a single white line across the phone. This is Diego's phone - in a gang member's car. I remember him dropping it and causing the starch.

Quickly, I turn it on. Why would Amir have it? What's the connection between a simple CEO and a gang leader? Diego is the nicest guy I know, he's the only one that managed to help me after I was kicked out of my home.

Diego was born rich. His family was rolling in money. They could use money to shower instead of water and still be able to buy a small island with the money left over. Diego had an apartment where he allowed me to stay and finish my degree. Without him, I would have been in poverty or dead.

Diego managed to care for me more than my own parents. There's no way he can have any sort of connection with Amir. Amir sounds cold, ruthless and Diego is the exact opposite. I log in, swiping left and right for a clue. Maybe the messages would have a clue.

There's nothing in the messages but a single text from Tina. I just saw Nirvaan leave with Matsya? I feel like there's something more to their relationship than we know tbh.

Tina and Diego talk about me behind my back? The message is fairly new, judging by its content it was only about ten minutes ago. Diego would have realized if his phone was missing before, he's always on it. Both of them are constantly talking to each other, even if it was stolen before Tina would have known by then.

The phone must have been stolen during the party.

The only person connected to Amir at the party was Mastya. She's the only one that could have possibly stolen the phone - but for what? There's no doubt that Diego is connected with Matsya now.

But how? And why? What does Diego have to do with Matsya? My head spins and it's completely understandable. My world has been shaken up - Diego, my best friend, the guy who managed to save me so many times may be the reason why my whole life is in havoc? What was so bad that Matsya hates someone like Diego?