Chapter Sixteen: Car Owners

Immediately, I hear footsteps that cause my heart to thud dangerously. There's someone in here. Matsya quickly brings up her arms, a sleek gun at the end of her hands.

Her hands hold up, shaking slightly with some fear. "What if it's someone you know?" Matsya whispers, leaning into my chest to get the sound as close as possible. I shake my head.

"Who would come at one in the morning?" I question, my eyes searching the door for some sign of force. The locks are all in place, indicating the person was easily allowed in. I gulp - this person must have known how to get in here or they have my keys.

The way my keys move in the locks sound threteningly loud to my ears. I push the door open, peeking in to see a man sitting on my couch. His eyes watch me lazily, the light brown of his. The way it rakes me up and down makes me uncomfortable. He has tousled brown hair as if he just climbed out of bed and a light stubble on his cheeks.

I freeze there, watching his eyes for some sort of emotion. Instead, his eyes move to Matsya and finally, his lips crack into the first emotion of his I saw. Fear washes over me along with goosebumps. Whatever he wants, it's to do with Matsya. I try to will my legs to walk in front of her but my heart pauses instead struck with fear.

It's a fake smile. He smiles but the smile doesn't reach his eyes. The man stands up, lazily as if he can't be bothered. To top off the whole lazy look, he's wearing a simple black shirt which highlights his abs and black jeans. "I can't believe how low your standards are," he scoffs, watching me carefully.

He throws his gun in the air, catching it and flipping it to point at me. "Amir," Matsya says, her voice a threat itself. Matsya moves infront of me, her eyes firmly meeting Amir's.

"What? He already knew too much. Nirvaan is the guy at the bank, right?" he questions despite the fact he knows everything. "And now, he's your fuckbuddy?"

"He's not -"

"How could you even let him know everything? It's so sloppy of you to let some outsider know. And to top it off, you haven't even killed him yet."

"Nirvaan will keep his lips shut."

"And you'll expect me to believe that?" Amir says, his light eyes turning dark. He looks over Matsya, watching me with a glare. Amir sees me as nothing but a difficulty. I take a step back, hitting the door of my own apartment as my mouth becomes dry.

I should protest. Say something. Kick him out. Call someone, ask for help - something better than standing there and letting Matsya fight my battles.

I'm afraid in my own home. What if I die today? What if I don't live to meet my brother again, to see Amrita's wedding or to see myself to grow old? What if my life is cut in half, simply because of my curiosity and unablity to call the police.

"Why are you even so attached to him," Amir comments, dragging the last word longer than needed as he scans me. "But if you're so hellbent on having Nirvaan, I'll give you a night. Tommorow; precisely at six pm if you're not home, I'll personally kill Nirvaan."

"I love warning people off," he sighs, his tone light and friendly. He looks at me, freezing me into my spot once again. "What will it take to get rid of you? Your brother? Diego? Tina?"

A shudder runs down my spine and I open my mouth to only close it again. I can't seem to force myself to say anything or do anything beside gulp in fear.

He gestures to my laptop, lying open on my facebook page. How did he even hack into it? Or onto my laptop? A single status is displayed on the screen, ready to be pressed enter.

I'm done with this world. My own parents have abandoned me and it's time for to abandon this world. Goodbye and to all of you that cared about me, I deeply love you.

That doesn't even sound like something I would say, even in my own sucide note. Amir wants to kill me then display my death as a sucide? A shudder passes down my spine and I re-read the letter over and over as if it'll soon make sense.

Instead, it occupies my stomach with dread. "Amir," Matsya thertans again, repeating his name over and over as if it'll knock sense into him. Amir looks at Matsya, locking eyes with him and for a moment, his eyes soften.

"It's for the best," he says, his voice soft as he watches Matsya carefully. With a groan, he tilts his head to the sky. "Fine! Nirvaan won't die. He'll live on one condition; that he'll never meet you outside of work."

"You have the remainder of this day to sort out anything else you need to. Don't you dare tell him more than necessary and make sure he knows what will happen to him if he spills the truth," Amir orders, brushing past Matsya and then me. He doesn't spare a glance towards me again but locks eyes with Matsya again as he leans in closely towards her.

His lips meet Matsya's cheeks and she freezes in the spot. Again, my stomach fills with dread but this time, of a different kind.  A moment later, she takes a step back and touches her cheek softly as if she wants to get rid of his touch. Amir looks hurt for a moment but then starts to walk away.

As quickly as he leaves, I quickly slam the door shut, not willing to see the back of his head. "How?" I say, my eyes meeting Matsya's. "How the fuck do you deal with such a -"

"He wasn't always like this," she interrupts, her eyes on the door. I'm awfully close to Matsya, my body only a few inches away from her. "He changed over time."

"That doesn't mean you have to deal with his threats! Matsya, he's going to hurt you in one of these days," I tell her, watching her eyes carefully for any emotion. Instead, she watches the door with her eyes filled with emotions.

I carefully grab her wrist, lacing my fingers around her smooth skin. "Matsya," I carefully say, drawing each syllable out. She looks at me, her eyes widen as she mutters a slight 'huh'. Her mouth is still agape and she closes it quickly, realizing what she did.

"Sorry," she mutters, her eyes still somewhere else. It kind of stung watching her being kissed by Amir. I lean in, faintly pressing my lips to her cheeks as if it's a soft whisper.

"Matsya," I repeat, watching her eyes snap to mine. She look at me, her eyes coming into focus after so long. "What's next?"

There's no words to say. No more questions. All I want to know is what is next. What's next for us, about my life. Matsya's mysteries will unveil themselves over time but my life won't ever come back.

For the first time, Matsya simply shrugs and her eyes glaze over again. Perhaps she'll be better after she wakes up. "Matsya," I whisper, my hands holding her shoulder delicately. My hands fall to her, tangling them with mine as I pull her closer to me. "Look into my eyes."

Her eyes have panic written all over them, both of them spaced out as she focuses them onto me. "Everything will be okay," I say, my voice calm despite the panic under it. The words barely reassure me but somehow, Matsya seems to calm down and snap back to action. "Go to sleep. There's a room to the left, go to the plain one."

I let go of her hands and she nods as she walks away.

That's when the panick builds in. I count each of her steps as she walks, counting down until the moment I can start my frenzy. I should run. Pack all of my things, move to another town until this whole drama is over.

Until Matsya is gone. There's no way I can ever sacrifice Diego, Tina and my brother for some butterflies I get in my stomach. It's not worth it.

THIS CHAPTER I SWEAR IT WAS SO HARD TO WRITE WTF

Did you expect it to Amir? And who do you guys see him as? I see him as Aditiya tbh.

How was the chapter? Any feedback? Was Nirvaan's emotions clear?

Comment your opinion please!

Also Neerav - Nirvaan. thEY SOUND LIKE BROTHERS WTF. anyways if you guys like the name, you'll log the story. The Lies of Ours published under my user (ishipmeandchocolate) so check it out!

Vote?

- Maya

Tranceजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें