37 How did it come to this?

Two years later

Fiona picked up a crying Henry in her arms and rushed to answer the door.

"Henry sweetheart here is George Pig give him a cuddle." The toddler took the toy and instantly brightened.

Opening the door Fiona smiled at the young woman on the other side of the door.

"Can I help?" Fiona enquired.

"Yes, I hope so." The woman answered.

Fiona recognised her but was unable to place her.

"I am Oliver's colleague and I was wondering if he was in?" The woman looked past Fiona straining to see down the hallway.

"Eh, yes, of course, he is in the kitchen with Mattie, do you want to come in?" Fiona motioned for the girl to enter the house. " I am so sorry, since I had the second one," she nodded to Henry in her arms, "I can't remember my name, never mind anyone else's. I know we met before, was it at the deanery night out?"

"Yes, I am Alice," the woman pointed to herself, "I won't be long, I just need a quick word."

"Come through, do you want a coffee?" Fiona led the way to the kitchen and Alice followed her.

Alice noticed how dishevelled Fiona looked and her sympathy with Oliver grew. She could see how he had been trapped into a marriage with this frumpy fat woman and how he must have been desperate to be with her. The news she was about to give him and this hanger on type of a woman would release him.

It would let them both be together as they had planned over the few stolen nights they had together.

"Oliver!" Fiona shouted, "You have a visitor, Alice."

As she approached the kitchen she saw Oliver spin around and almost drop Mattie who he was swinging around playing airplanes. The child's blonde hair making a golden trail behind her. The colour drained from Oliver's face and he looked like he was going to throw up.

"Oh, Alice," he managed, " I didn't expect to see you here, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

Fiona watched Alice with envy, the long shiny dark hair and twenty five year old's body made her look at her own and shudder. She had not regained her shape from Mattie five years ago and now with Henry at two years old, she had run out of excuses for her weight and now clothes that fit her without her bursting through them were few and far between. Alice in her clean expensive jeans and t shirt, she in Oliver's old Rugby top and a pair of leggings covered in toddler spit and this morning's breakfast.

"What do you take in your coffee?" Fiona asked, " We are strictly a french, knock you on your bum coffee, type of house so I have a pot of the finest."

"Can I have a tea?" Alice looked at her coldly, " you see I shouldn't have too much caffeine as I am pregnant."

"Congratulations!" Fiona offered, "when are you due? You can't be far along? Or are you one of those incredibly lucky women who don't show until you are in the labour ward?" Fiona chuckled to herself.

She saw Oliver shoot a look at Alice which instantly made her blood run cold.

"I am fourteen weeks and I think you should know that your husband is the father."

Fiona looked between Alice and Oliver. She took Henry off of her hip and took his hand.

"Mummy! Want up!" he demanded.

"Shh baby, I am going to get your sister and you are both going into the playroom to watch Finding Nemo."

"Yes!" Shouted Mattie, "Love you mum! Come with me Henners and you can be Nemo and I will be Dory."