16 a Holiday Romance

Fiona packed her suitcase for the two weeks she was spending with David in Wales. David, on the other hand, packed up the remainder of his belongings for his six-month placement at Massachusetts General Hospital. He had shipped a few boxes of his belongings to his family home and packed the remainder into a huge suitcase which no one, least of all him, was sure would fit into Fiona's car.

After loading they set off for Wales to the backdrop of Fiona's mixtapes. She had made three for the journey, travelling 1,2 and 3. She made another 'getting it on' and the last one was 'for David'. She planned to give him the tape when he left. She made sure to pack his Walkman in his hand luggage and she bought batteries for him knowing that he had a lot to juggle.

They journeyed out through Hammersmith and eventually turned onto the M4. The drive was easy as it was Sunday and once into Wales, they sped through the rugged countryside to Snowdonia national park. Fiona had meticulously planned the journey with maps and a cheat sheet which was fortuitous as David fell fast asleep after an hour in the car. She nudged him awake when they reached Porthmadog to gain better directions.

Porthmadog was a small town nestled at the sea and a gateway to the magnificent Welsh mountains.

"Honey did I sleep all this way?" he rubbed his eyes and yawned.

"You sure did! I hadn't got through my first tape and you were flat out." she ribbed him. As she drove she sneaked peaks at his soft face. Wondering what he was dreaming about and hoping secretly it was her.

"Wow, you have driven for over three hours straight. When we get to the house I will run you a bath and you can have a snooze whilst I set about sorting dinner." David felt super guilty. The previous night had taken its toll on him in more ways than one. He wanted to care for her on this holiday. He wanted to return the nurturing she had given him.

"David Williams you have a plan, you old romantic!" She was astonished. Here was a side to David she really wanted to get to know.

"Babe, you are going to have a whole new barometer for romance when I am through with you." he chuckled, "Take the road out of the town towards Beddgelet and when you come to the bridge, hang a right down what looks like a farm track."

Fiona followed his instructions and was sure that he was taking her to a milking shed when she could make out lights in the distance. As they drove nearer she could make out a huge Victorian Vicarage set in acres of farm land. Even in the pitch dark surroundings she thought that the house was the size of a hotel. She drove through the gates and looked at David open mouthed.

David read her thoughts. "Honey this is the family home, belonged to my great great grandparents and passed down. My aunt and uncle prefer the cottage about half a mile away. We rent it out mostly to tourists but as you can see, no one here this time of year. Park in front of the door and I will get the key."

David got out of the car, stretched his large frame getting the knots out of him and made his way to a huge stone urn at the side of the pillars at the front of the door. He reached inside and produced a set of keys. He took their bags from the car and hastened Fiona inside.

The house was completely modernised with white walls, wooden floors and what looked to her eye very expensive rugs. They had tastefully retained the original features of the Victorian house and added the subtlest of modern twists. Fiona had to mentally stop herself from letting her jaw jaw hang open.

"Let me give you the tour,' David grabbed her hand, "kitchen all farmhouse style with an Aga which yes! Eileen has lit it! It is a nightmare if you haven't got the knack, this table is where at some point during the week I will roughly take you." David spun around and kissed Fiona.